1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbackers Overpriced?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, May 4, 2010.

1. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Overpriced? Yes. There seem to be many inconsistencies and poor QC, from what I've see since I've joined this forum. As much as I loathe Fender, I'd buy a bunch of their stuff before I ever gave Rickenbacker a call.

2. mtizzle

mtizzle

Mar 23, 2008

Actually, there was one hanging on the wall at my nearest GC a few weeks ago.

3. New? Someone call John Hall.

Mike

4. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I was talking a 2 year wait, if you can't find a particular new model at a dealer. In that case, it's a 2 year wait for an ordered one.

5. The price is NOT the same, even without taxes/VAT the price is app. $5000, and the exchange rate EURO/DOLLAR have been more or less the same for years.

All american made instruments are insanely expensive in Europe, someone is making a lot of money on us Europeans. Don't know if it's the american companies or the european importers. :bawl:

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Its both. ;)

This is the reason Fender, EBMM, and so on won't let us buy our axes from US stores.

Oh, and the exchange is 1.30€ to 1 dollar(been about this for about a year now), which should close in the gap, rather than expand it more.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Yeah, I saw one get sold here in the US yesterday so whatever dude.

I am not knocking Mexican Fenders, for the money they're great.

8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I really did like my Ric and miss it, but not so much for the tone. I loved the look and feel of it...the tone wasnt what I thought I was going to get, and maybe it was just the particular bass I had, but that wasnt worth $1500+ to me. Sounded more like a Jazz than what I thought I was going to get in a Ric. I would like to get another one someday, but I will hopefully get to play a few beforehand and see if the tone is closer to a "traditional Ric tone" (yeah I know, some purists say there is no such thing)

9. I can't believe I'm having to clarify this, but....

It wasn't new, was it? That would be a virtual impossibility. So we're left with the assumption that instruments manufactured 30 years ago piss you off because of their shape. As I said: that's an impressive grudge.

Mike

10. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    I don't know where you shop but in SoCal they're available in most music stores.

11. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009

Sir, i agree with you.

HOWEVER, i just wish to add soemthing to the bolded part of your text.

They take "two years" because Ric' CAN make people wait two years for them.

Supply and demand, sir. Low supply + High demand = inflated prices. ;)

Another good example of this is diamonds. There are enough diamonds out there that people could sell loads of them... and drive prices down. But by keeping the available product down, you can squeeze your maximum dollar out of consumers.

If rickenbacker flooded the market with their basses, (and i mean QUANTITY, not models, such as 4001 etc.) then they would have to charge less.

Understand?

12. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    overpriced? perhaps compared to other brands they always will be..but they don't have a lot of supply due to the units being plagued with flaws and defects creating a backlog of defective-exchanges and a wait time till you get yet another that hopefully would meet a users expectations. Waiting is inevitable for a nice new unit, but 2 years? I dunno.....

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

They are making Ric copies overseas as we speak, so it is anything but a virtual impossibility. The long arm of JH is not long enough to reach Singapore. ;)

For a little clarification of my own, I have no personal stake in who likes or plays knock off Ric basses, and maybe "Pisses me off" was a little, shall we say, exaggerated. Let's just say that everyone who has worked hard and saved to get the real deal is cheapened just a little bit every time some idiot passes a Korean made POS off as a genuine Rickenbacker.

14. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    uh, not too many people try to "pass" a MIK Ric copy off as the real deal even on EBAY. You may be upset because I found an identical bass for 1/4 of the price that you paid that does everything the Ric does including stereo sound?

Tell that to ALL the SX owners who say that their 109.95 bass sounds and plays like the 1299.95 real deal and try and make them believe that they are hurting Fender by owning them and not buying GenuineFender and see how much response you get :)

..huh...I always thought it was the tone and playability that attracted people to a Ric, and Ric is on the losing side of the battle when it comes to price for what you get ( the main topic of this thread ) when the Chinese knockoffs are built just as nicely.

15. I say you're only as cheapened as you make yourself feel. I'm not sure how on earth the existence of a cheaper bass that looks like a Ric cheapens an individual who owns a different bass. That's baffling, really.

Mike

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    If you find a Ric copy that plays and sounds like a Ric, maybe you'll have a point. The best copies I know of were Japanese made Grecos or whatever they were called and they DON'T sound like rics.

But hey, far be it from me to bust up your little fantasy world, where cheap copies are as good as the real thing. If you like them, buy them.

17. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    If people are waiting in line to buy Rics and the factory can't keep up with the demand, then it is obvious, that they are underpriced, not overpriced.

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Why don't all those people who are waiting, get themselves whatever bass it is that Amimbari has? I mean since it's just as good and everything. :rollno:

19. ok this is just me but i LOVE rics

BUT

in the uk a new 4003 will set you back ATLEAST £1299... and thats if you can find a place that has one. i remeber a thread on talk bass a few months back with one person saying that out the box his rick had alot of problems and considering your paying 1k+ for one of these you would expect it to be perfect out the box

plus i herd there was like a 3 month waiting list for ricks and thats pusing up costs and pushing down the quality

and another topic i remeber was a list of things rick should do and one of t he most common requests was like a kinda squier thing. now if you paid say £400 for one of those you would expect it to have a few problems but not on a 1k+ bass

p.s you mentioned warwick twice