1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)


Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkyTragic, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. FunkyTragic


    Jun 18, 2005
    Not that I can afford one,but I was curious about these wonders...

    1.Cliff Burton used a Rickenbacker 4001 I believe, but what model do they do now that will give me the most similar sound?
    2.Where the HELL in England do they sell them?Are they easy to find?difficult?

  2. tplyons


    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Current model that would sound the closest would be the 4003. Quite similar to the 4001 IMO.

    England's distributor:
    Rosetti Limited, 4 Tamdown Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 7QL
    Tel: 44-1376-550033 Fax: 44-1376-550042
    Email: music@rosetti.co.uk
  3. gwx014


    Dec 22, 2005
    I've played both the 4001 and the 4003. While I didn't play them side by side IMO they sounded exactly the same. btw I own the 4003 and it is an amazing instrument.
  4. Cliff's Ric was often drenched in effects, and it had different pickups anyway.
    do a google search for them, they'r quite easy to get hold of. If you are near central london there are a few places that stock them.
  5. steve21

    steve21 Banned

    Drenched with effects?

    A fuzz/distortion that he used + wah isn't drenched, IMO.

    Cliff's rickenbacker had a Gibson EB-O neck humbucker in the neck position and a 70's jazz bass pickup in the bridge area.
  6. keb


    Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, the 4003 is the same thing as a 4001, except that it has a redesigned truss rod system that's stronger than the 4001's (which was designed with low-tension flatwounds in mind, though many players over the years have used other strings with no ill effects.)

    The only other major difference was that the 4001 had a capacitor in series with the bridge pickup to cut some bass response and make the instrument brighter sounding (think Chris Squire and Geddy Lee who capitalized on this), and the 4003 didn't, but as of late 2005, new 4003's coming off the line have this capacitor back in, with a push-pull pot to take it in and out of the circuit. So yeah, instant 4001 at the pull of a knob. ;)
  7. FunkyTragic


    Jun 18, 2005

    There is one place in the WHOLE of England!?!?!?!?!

    Jeezus.Not only do I need a lot of money,but I need to hike it up to Essex.

    Plus would you recommend I get a separate distortion pedal?the distortion on my Korg AX10B is pretty decent,but I hope to get a morley power wah pedal pretty soon because the Korg's wah sucks.Is that a good idea?
  8. Thornton Davis

    Thornton Davis Supporting Member

    Dec 11, 1999
  10. steve21

    steve21 Banned

    Well yeah, but it's not like there's 4500 effects on, just heavy distortion + that power wah.

    But yeah, even without the effects Cliff's rick was different.
  11. Aj*


    Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The chain Sound Control sometimes stock them here in the UK, there's likely to be one close to you, there's a 4003 in my local Leeds Sound Control. www.soundcontrol.co.uk .
  12. DaveBeny


    Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    No, they are just the UK distributor (the official importers who then sell on to music shops). Rickenbackers are fairly common in the UK. Expect to pay around the £1000 mark for a new 4003 (give or take perhaps £100 either side of that). A clean used one can be picked up for £700 (maybe a bit less if you get lucky). There's a few auctions running on www.ebay.co.uk at the moment.

    From your profile, I'm guessing that you're in the Oxford area. It's not far on the train to London, and you'll have no prob finding a Ricky there.
  13. JayAmel

    JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Wow, that's great news.
  14. keb


    Mar 30, 2004
  15. So is this Cap Mod available for those of us with earlier 4003's
  16. Indiana Mike

    Indiana Mike

    Nov 18, 2005
    Recently, on the Ric forums, people were asking this ? of Ric service . "will the push pull pot cap upgrade be available in the boutique as an add on?"
    To my knowledge they have never answered that. I would buy it in a minute, I just missed it by a couple of months.

    I am sure you could do it fairly easily, Ric has the wiring diagrams on the website and it shows a shunt WHERE the cap used to be. You would just need some knowledge of schematics and know how to wire up a push pull to have both circuits on demand, one with pot in , other with pot out.

    I am not ready to open mine up yet, maybe when I restring it? I wonder how many other bassists did this on their own and Ric took notice and made it standard. It's not rocket science , it's basic electronics
  17. Bob the Bass

    Bob the Bass

    Aug 13, 2004
    Rosetti is the UK Distributor - check their website for a list of dealers they distribute to !!
    If you want a new one you will have to order it & be prepared to wait, unless you land dead lucky like I did last weekend when I went to my local music shop to get some wall hangers only to find they had a brand new 4003 Blue Boy on sale !! I thought about it for around 10 nanoseconds then bought it - it is GORGEOUS !! :bassist: