Rickenbakcer 4000's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hurezeanu, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    I myself own a lovely 4003 midnight-blue Ric, and am VERY happy with it!

Now here's something I've always wondered...

I've always heard about how the 4001's have the old trussrods, and how they were designed for relatively low tension strings (Ive read in alot of cases people routinely have problems with these basses when they are strung with regular roundwound strings).

Anyway, this goes to say not ALL 4001's are susceptible to the dreaded "bent rods syndome", but I've always wondered about the Rickenbacker 4000's (the ones with one birdge pickup, and a tone and volume knob)... to anyone who has ever played one, owns one, or knows about it:

how are the trussrods and necks for these babies? in comparison to the 4001's?
    just curiosity! :bassist:
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My first quality bass was a Rick 4000. I kept is seven years from 1978-85. If I had it to over agaoin, I would have kept it. It was a great sound bass, the pickup had a very high output and it had a great slap tone. It also sounded wonderful both finger and pickstyle. Back in those days I often fancied myself trying to sound like Chris Squire/Geddy Lee but playing r&b, so I used a pick alot like Squire. The one downside is that it didn't sound too good through a recording console. When my band did demos, I ran through effects to cover its plain tone a bit. I really miss that bass and I would seriously pay good money if I coould ever find my original 4000.
  3. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    A 4001 is a 4000 with neck pickup added, otherwise the same, except for cosmetic trim.