1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbuzzer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dbull, Apr 21, 2009.

1. dbull

dbull

Feb 26, 2009
    North Carolina
    I just got a new Rickenbacker 4003, but the E string hits the frets a ton when I play. Has anyone had this problem and if so, how do you correct it (raising the bridge did not help). Is it the neck, or do many of them have this problem?

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

3. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Unless you really know what you're doing, I'd get the repair done professionally. I've heard Ricky truss rods are really hard to get...so if something goes wrong and the truss rod breaks, you might run into some trouble.

Just a suggestion :)

4. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    take it to a pro. my buddy tried to adjust his ricky himself and snapped the truss. now its a very expensive decoration.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Is it buzzing when amplified? If not, I wouldn't worry, but if it is, +1, have a set up done.

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Only old 4001 truss rods. To adjust those, you must bend the neck to where you want it manually, and then adjust the truss rods to simply hold it there.

4003 truss rods work like any other bass's truss rods, only, there are two of them. Also, Rickenbackers are made to have the neck dead flat. It is, however, advised, like with most basses, that you shouldn't turn a truss rod more than a quarter of the way around at a time.

7. FrankBlankPlank

FrankBlankPlank

Aug 27, 2008
    A 'new' Rickenbacker? Send the damn thing back. There seems to be a pattern developing recently. People buying new Rickenbackers and having various problems with them.

For what these things cost, the least Rickenbacker can do is check 'em out before they ship 'em out.

Isn't the big gripe with Fender Mexico the fact that the QC is slapdash? Looks like Ric have adopted the Fender business model without actually offering a cheaper line of instruments!

8. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Warranty. Use it.

9. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I dunno. I wouldn't ship my bass anywhere if it only needs an adjustment. After all, no set-up guy can know exactly how you want your bass to play. If only the E string is the problem, then more than likely just the bass side needs adjustment.

Fret the E at the first and last frets and look at the string clearance in the middle of the neck. If the string is touching the frets in the middle of the neck while you are fretting at the first and last frets, then the neck has a bow and the truss on that side needs to be loosened a bit. If however, there is clearance between the frets and the string (middle of the neck) then you already have relief in the neck and the truss should be tightened. If the neck is flat, (not touching the frets and only paper thin clearance in the middle), then either raise the bass side of the bridge, or look into the possibility that the nut slot is cut too deeply.

I agree that Rics can be hard to dial in, but once they are, they are one of the best available. ;)

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    you should learn how to adjust and set up any bass you own.

11. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    +1

As a case in point. I just changed strings from Ric stock strings to Ken Smith Slick rounds. (these strings are great!) Anywho....the tension must be different between the strings, and I found the action too high after the change. After only 20 minutes, a couple small turns of each truss nut, and some minor bridge adjustments, the bass plays great again. If I could not have done this myself, it would have involved a trip to the music store and money for a set up.