1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Rickenfaker, 4001 copy, FireGlo

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by millahh, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Price:
    $675
    Strings:
    Really nice MIJ (probably El Degas) late-70’s vintage Rickenfaker, 4001 copy, Fireglo. New nut, recently professionally set up, and with a custom truss rod cover (all courtesy of the previous owner). Sounds, looks and plays like the real deal.

Plays very well, all electronics and hardware working well and overall in very good shape (dings and nicks expected for an instrument that’s been played for a long time, plus a partial crack in the pickguard, but is cosmetic only).

Weight is 8 3/4 lbs.

Includes a tweed hardshell case.

$675, plus shipping. 20171027_183107. 20171027_183118. 20171027_183125. 20171027_183151. 20171027_183155. 20171027_183218. 20171126_184611.

2. Tempting!!!

millahh likes this.
  3. 6tzguy

6tzguy 6tzguy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Orange County, Ca.
    I've seen the Chinese versions called 'Chickenbackers'.!

millahh likes this.
  4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    millahh likes this.
  5. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    It looks pretty much identical, though I don't think it's the same one as your pic...looks like there is a strap button on the lower horn of your old one, and there is neither a strap button nor corresponding hole on this one. Still, it's uncanny! And it is a great instrument, I want it to find a home were it will get more love...

6. rodv66

rodv66

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    Any trades?

7. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    This is for sale only, need to thin the heard and free up some funds to pay for my dirt pedal addiction.

8. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Any chance you’re sitting on some sound clips of this puppy somewhere, or could make some?

9. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    I'll see what i can do, may take a day or two, though.

10. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    That would be fantastic. Is the wiring the same as a standard ric? Like, do the controls behave in the same was as a real ric’s would, and does it have the stereo out?

11. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Same wiring/operation, including stereo. And in the meantime, i can tell you that i can get spot-on for Undertow-era Tool and Permanent Waves-era Rush with zero effort.

Edit, originally named the other Rush shipping with the same initials!

12. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Dear sweet Lord, baby Jesus. I need this bass. I've been a Rush fan since high school (which was longer ago than I'd care to admit), but I could never afford a Rickenbacker. If this will get me there in an affordable fashion, that would be lovely. Of course, these days I only play in church, if then, but I could bring the Rickenfaker thunder to our worship music. Maybe throw in a little Rush riff when the worship leader's not paying attention.

millahh likes this.
  13. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    I'd still like to hear a clip of some kind, though, if that's possible. Also, a couple of other questions, if you don't mind. I've never bought an imitation bass, so I'm a bit hesitant. Not that I don't trust your judgment. Do you know if it has actual Rickenbacker pickups? Also, I don't see any serial number. How do you know it's from the '70's?

14. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Did those older Rick's have dual truss rods? Does this?

15. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Can't speak for the actual Rics, but this is a single.

16. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    I’m pretty sure actual rics have two. But one is better than none.

millahh likes this.
  17. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    :)