1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickey Minor leaving Idol for Leno

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JimmyM, Apr 14, 2010.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    yep, the biggest thief in show business, jay leno, has struck again. this time he stole rickey minor away from american idol to lead the band when kevin eubanks steps down.

but unlike when jay stole stuttering john from howard stern (along with several of howard's signature bits), i am ecstatic about this! i hate jay leno and i never watch, and i love american idol (watch your mouths) but i hate the band, and i blame rickey. he's a decent bass player but he has zero range. when he and the band play funk or show tunes, they're fine. when he and the band play rock music, it's godawful. some would call it pathetic. i consider rickey much more a product of superior networking skills than talent. he's not without talent, but there are way more talented musicians and bandleaders out there, some who probably live in your hometown.

so for me this is good news. maybe idol can get someone good to lead the band next time. and maybe they won't sound like a broadway pit band slumming when they play rock music anymore. and for god's sake, i hope rickey takes that overplaying no-taste drummer with him!

2. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    I think the word on the street is that this is Idol's last season or next to last season so I wouldn't be surprised that he was looking around for a new gig.

3. wow......teddy campbell a no-taste drummer?!?....gotta love the internet.

4. That is correct. Idol is on the way out and I have to say "GOOD RIDDANCE!"

First it will be nice to see a bass guy showcased as a front man. More people will be aware of the instrument and Ricky Minor is one heck of a bass player (or bassist, whatever).

Second I was personally tired of Kevin. He is a great guitarist, but I don't think he showed much enthusiasm lately.

And I agree about Leno being a thief, essentially a joke thief.

Although during the writer's strike he was coming with his own jokes and he was a tad funnier than usual.

I don't watch Leno much, I am tired of his bobble head (to steal Caliendo's joke!).

5. Spoonman462

Spoonman462

Jan 20, 2008
    I hear the guy's a major d-bag, too. Guess that's why Leno got him

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    way too much bass drum in simple songs, way too much fancy schmancy cymbal work all the time. when you're playing a beatles song, you don't play the same way you would for a justin timberlake song. lots of talent doesn't mean you can pull off a style that's foreign to you, and when they play rock, it sounds foreign to them, and to me, it's mostly because of the drummer. but since rickey picked him, then i ultimately blame him.

that guitarist they have is really something, though. i like him. not much he can't do. hope he stays.

7. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Guest

Feb 15, 2010
    WORD! Idol IS and has been THE lamest thing on mainstream TV for way to long, I fully welcome its departure!!!

…and if you’re not doing bigger and better things then Rickey, you have no room to talk bad about him, unless of course you’re that insecure with your own success…lol

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    btw, if you don't think fox is going to do their best to salvage the #1 show when its star leaves, you are wrong. it'll at least be back for another year.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i'll talk about anyone i want when i want for whatever reason i want, thank you very much. ever watch a movie and say you don't like it? well can you act or direct movies as good?

didn't think so. you must be jealous of jim cameron.

10. That guitarist is Paul Jackson, Jr. (I don't think there is any connection with one of the funkiest bassists on earth), and he is a monster session player and Contemporary Christian/Smooth Jazz artist. I discovered him when I was knee deep in smooth jazz during the '90s. He has some really well done CDs out if you are into that genre.

11. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    At least, at least it brought back musical singing...not talking in tempo and not over singing/emoting.
    And just because some dude has a deal with the devil doesn't mean what he or she is doing is valuable to humanity, and on TV it just means appealing to the lowest common denominator. Money and success all go away, but art lasts a while and lifts everyone up.

Another thing, that bastard Simon brought back Real criticism instead of tepid everyone-is-ok PC garbage. It was shocking when he said something was bad in public and didn't care who got "hurt". He might have been wrong or right, just the fact that he said it was of great value.

12. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I totally agree

13. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Guest

Feb 15, 2010

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    beats the tila tequila show.

15. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I think American Idol is pointless. I like what Bill Maher once said about it. I am paraphrasing here but he said, "That is alot of time to invest to find another cruise ship singer."

16. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    It actually was a genius way to find a singer. You could make money off of R&D instead of paying for R&D. Although the success rate has been so so, if all they did was find Underwood and no one else was remotely succesful, from a financial point (which at the end of the day is the point that matters) it was successful.

17. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    +1, or those daggone Kardashians..........

18. Well if you look at the charts for the last 10 years you will see a lot of Idol winners and runner-ups singing utter crap.

The Idol style of singing has also been contagious over a whole generation of singers. A friend of mine went to audition to sing the anthem at Chase Field and most of the young singers were singing as if they were auditioning for American Idol. Same glory note, same falpoopieto.