1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickey Minor to Replace Kevin Eubanks as the MD for the Tonight Show

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Commreman, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Not that I'm usually up late enough to watch the Tonight Show, but today it was made official that Rickey Minor will take over the reigns of the Tonight Show band from Kevin Eubanks at the conclusion of this season of American Idol. Another nail in the coffin of AI; great news for the Tonight Show, Rickey, and bassists everywhere!:bassist:

2. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    cool news indeed! Nice to see a bassman at the front!

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have got to think that if Rickey Minor values his integrity, playing The Tonight Show has got to be a better gig. He will play good music between segments, and he will back some decent musical guests. AI is nothing but pure hack work, IMO.

5. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Both threads got posted at the same time. Maybe the mods can merge them.

I agree wholeheartedly with the good Dr. Cheese. While AI is more high profile (not this year, but in the past), on the Tonight show, Rickey will be backing pros for a change instead of "Band - e - okie".

6. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    well......it's probably not great news for the existing bassist of the Tonight Show

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I wasn't sure if it was still Robert Hurst...Wiki sez it is.
    Hurst & Smitty Smith are total bad asses in either an acoustic or electric vibe.

Once upon a time, Kevin Eubanks was putting out some heavy records...hopefully, he'll have some time to do so more.
    His brother, Robin, is doing pretty OK. ;)

And back in the day, Joel DiBartolo was smokin'.
    One of a few electric bassists that could swing his ass off.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    great news for me! i hate the tonight show and that scumbag leno and i think the idol band is the worst on tv. great when they're in their funk/broadway element, horrible at everything else.

9. NOOOOOOOOO!!! I love Kevin Eubanks....hes hilarious

10. I say congrats to Rickey if it makes him happy!

I worked on the same show with him (but in a different capacity) for a few years and can honestly say that he is genuinely one of the nicest people I have ever met. He always took time answer dumb questions about his gear and how he arrived at it. He's just a really down to earth guy, and I wish him the best of luck to him at his new gig!

IMHO, the band was always the unsung hero of that show. The contestants had to learn 1 song a week. Rickey and his band had to pull off up to 24 or more tunes, and they all had to be perfect as to not screw up the amateur singers performing.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    that's a little refreshing to hear. all i ever hear is how aggressively he networks and how ruthless he can be. oh well, i've met nice people who were pretty ruthless in business.

i still don't like that band, though. they should let the guitarist run it. he's killer.

12. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I've worked with Rickey on several shows and when you have his attention he's great...getting his attention can be difficult. He loves to be busy and while he's working on one gig he's setting up 5 others. The man is definitely a hustler (to his credit).

But make no mistake, this is more about Rickey seeing the predictable decline of AI once Simon Cowell leaves and keeping his name & face on hi-profile TV gigs. Don't expect a musical metamorphosis on The Tonight Show. These talk show gigs require about 3 hours a day from the band and no outside rehearsal. Knowing Rickey, he has 15+ years worth of charts to draw from so he won't even need to break a sweat.

But career maneuvering aside he's a damn fine bass player and MD and I wish him great success in spite of Leno (sorry, I'll always be on Team Coco).

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Did you guys see that long close-up of Rickey's Sadowsky headstock on AI last night? Roger's gotta be loving that.

14. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Interesting! I'll definitely be checking him out! Who else is he hiring for his band? Will Paul Jackson, Jr. be the new AI MD or will he join Ricky on the Tonight Show?

A Groove is a Terrible Thin gto Waste! :cool:

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I think its cool to have a bassist leader, especially on that show where the band leader gets a lot of publicity. I have a friend who worked with Ricky Minor on Fox's "Great American Band" and he says nothing but good things about him.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

That would be Derrick Murdock.

And Rickey Minor is a very nice and down to earth person(and always extremely busy).

17. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 and on an on..

I never liked Eubanks sound. :bag:.its that snotty front end overdrive through a Hotplate on a Mesa , with a hardwood Rivera or whatever guitar.. Its so saturated and mid heavy the rest of the band disappears in the mix. Terrible sound. It has the sound that jazz guy gets when he want to try to be a rock player. It would be like Angus Young trying to be a like Segovia.. Both good at what they do but know your limits. Eubanks has not figured that out yet.. Terrible rock tone and that is all he uses.. :bag::bag:
    There are lots of great Mesa guitar sounds out there. His is NOT one of them..The sound that he gets is that Mesa sound that gives mesa a bad name among some major league guitar purists.

18. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Ricky Minor is a Pros Pro.. +1

19. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Yeah that was a nice shot.. Nice 4 string. Roger must be loving it too...

I never watched taht show but Casey James one of the contestants, plays in one of the cover bands that i do when im home.. so i feel like i need to watch it now.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

If you want to hear some serious jazz guitar playing with serious jazz guitar tone. Check out Kevin Eubanks first solo recording as a leader called Kevin Eubanks guitarist.