Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ricks and fretbuzz.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FaithNoMan, Mar 13, 2006.

1. I have been playing with the highest action imaginable, but now, I actually found that I needed fretbuzz to get the tones I was after

...instead of having relief on my neck, it is now to the point of *almost* having an overbow...it actually has an overbow when I drop tune...I measured it with a straightedge(Ricks are supposed to be dead flat instead of having slight relief).

I listened to my favorite bass tone again, and found out it has a lot more fretbuzz than I thought.. I had my bass setup so there was no fretbuzz at all before.....

I imagine a clean tone would sound bad like this, but with a little dirt from my Mesa Bass 400 or my newly aquired GK 800RB, it sounds awesome, and gets me closer to the tones I love...

P.S., I am learning to play with a slightly lighter touch, and my Rick is sooo easy to play now..:)

...and this is the opposite of so many posts on here, haha

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Most players would call that growl. And yes, Rickenbackers are famous for their growl...

I certainly agree with keeping a Rick set up with low action - to be played with a light touch. Frequently you can coax more tones - and better ones - by actually playing with less physical force, rather than more force...

What a wild & crazy concept, eh? :smug:

MM

3. Now I feel like an idiot... I've been playing with my action over a centimeter at the 12th fret....I had to use a heavier hand before..:rolleyes:

But now, after almost a year of owning it, it feels sooo much easier to play..duhh!:oops: