Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ricks: flatwound or roundwound? Fingers or picks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danzecc, Mar 7, 2006.

1. danzecc

danzecc

Jan 20, 2006
    Which combinations do you think are the best?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I have a 4001. I use LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass rounds and fingerstyle.

Currently I'm playing mostly R+B with this set-up. If I were to play jazz, I'd switch to a brighter string. IMO the Rick can handle any style, but strings are a major consideration. (obviously the pick or finger choice too)

3. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    Roundwounds + Pick seems to be the norm but thats not to say you cant do something different.

Rics bridge pickup make them harder to play finger style than other basses thats why alot of Ric players use a pick :)

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Roundwounds and fingers for me.

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I bought up all of the last remaining D'Addario Slowound nickel roundwounds I could find because I love the way those strings sound on Ricks...I play with a pick 90% of the time.

I am going to experiment with flats pretty soon though, & those LaBellas sound pretty interesting too.

6. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    It depends. Are you trying to get the Chris Squire sound? Pick and roundwounds for that. The Geddy Lee growl? Fingers and roundwounds. The Sir Paul fat tone? Flatwounds for sure.

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Rounds and fingers will make that Ric sing!

8. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    flats, fingers, and a tube amp. Really warm sounding, but still has that Ric grit. I love it, and I am not gassin for any other basses out there-except for a burgundyglo 4001 someday!

9. as of right now i play my rick with roundwounds and finger style but slowly i'm starting to play it with a pick, i like the tone i get from both fingers and pick but i just think it has more tone,kick, and punch with a pick. i'm always going to use both, but sometimes one just sounds better then the other.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    For me, a Rick is all about light-gauge roundwounds and a pick. Many basses can generate a lovely sound with flatwounds played fingerstyle. But the Rick roundwounds/pick tone is unique - and most distinctive - in the bass guitar world.

There's not too many instruments you can say that about...

MM