Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ricks Vs Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mhearn, Jul 12, 2005.

Rick or Fender

Poll closed Jul 19, 2005.
  1. Rickenbacker 4003

84 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Fender Jazz

158 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. mhearn

mhearn

Jun 11, 2005
    Most of the people on this forum have a loyal bond to thier fender bass, but alot of people have loyal bonds to thier ricks.

So the question is whcih do u find to be the better bass?

2. ...

They're both two very different animals.

It's like asking me if I prefer chicken over steak.

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I've only played my Fender Jazz for a signifigant time but I have played a Rick but it was when I was just starting out and had no idea what I was doing but I will one day have a rick for my self I know this for sure...

It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine... /waynesworld

5. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    that one was hard, but i already have 2 jazzes i picked a rick

6. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I prefer steak...which bass is that again? :smug:

7. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    I'm actually in this same position right now. Though they are two very different instruments, I just love them both to death.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Jazz, since if I get it, I'll be putting in Nordstrand NJ4 pickups and a new preamp (most likely an Aguilar OBP-3). It's a tough choice, though.

8. That'd be the Ric, heh

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    "Better" for what?

Specify, or its a useless question along the lines of "my dad can beat up your dad".

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    That's the beauty about having different basses. See, I don't understand some guy having 8 Stingrays (or whatever..).
    It's nice to have a broad spectrum of weapons in the arsenal. I have 3 Ricks (4001, 4003, 3001) & while they get a lot of play time I've been reaching for the Jazz a lot lately.

It all depends on:
    the song
    who I'm playing with
    amp configuration
    what kind/how many guitarists I'll be playing with
    my attitude that day
    the humidity
    whatever...

I just like having many different flavors at my disposal.

I voted Rick 4003 though.

11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I voted for the Ric 4003 even tho' only one of my three Ric basses is a 4003. Fenders are OK but not in the same league as Rics.

12. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I prefer 4 string Rics and 5 string Jazzes

13. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Ricks are alot sexier than Jazzes.

Thunderbirds> Rickenbackers >Jazzes> Precisions> Stingrays in my opinion :)

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Both are great basses and both are great for alot of things. Because of the numbers the answer really has to Fender.

The interesting twist is the way the two companies market their basses.
    Fender caters to every market, you can swing into GC and pick up a Fender for $299 or you can order a Custom Shop Fender and pay much, much more. While the quality of the instruments are vastly different, they are the exact same instrument at their basic levels.
    Rick on the other hand, for whatever reason(s), doesn't do this. While there are price differences and options available they neither license their product out, nor do themselves produce a TRUE "ENTRY LEVEL" bass(to my knowledge). While this may limit the amount of basses that they sale I think it adds to the intrigue and fraternity that Rick players feel.

Alot of basses sound(and look) like a Fender, nothing sounds(or looks) like a Rick.(at least nothing that doesn't have a lawsuit attached to it)

15. The last time I played a Ric was about 5 months ago.

I took about 15 minutes and really fooled around with the pickup combinations - very versatile!

The Ric has that well known Chris Squire-type sound, but you can also get them to sound very mellow by using either the neck pup or both pups. Plus they have a 3 way switch and individual volume and tone controls. I like that.

As already stated, these two basses couldn't be more different, but I feel that if you don't have to have the, "Fender tone," a Ric is a very nice bass that'll fit any style of music.

I think the average Ric beats the average Fender in quality of workmanship.

Mike ;)

16. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    As much as I dig Fender. I went with the Ric. If I had the money and could ever find one I would buy a Ric. before I bought a Jazz. It seems like everybody has a Jazz Bass. I have a P-Bass which seems everybody has also. That's kind of why I'm looking at playing a diffrent kind of bass now. The only bad thing is when I play my other basses Im all ways comparing it to my Fender.

17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I just really couldn't vote one over the other, you'd need to specify more closely the terms of the question. The Jazz is definitely more versatile, I think, but if you really want a Ric then a Jazz won't do that job, despite being great at what it can do. So, um... can I have both? Oh, yeah, wait a minute... :D :D

18. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Duh, steak.....

19. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i love Ricks sound but i hate their necks,for me they are very sticky necks.the best way for play them is with a pick,almost for me.