Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ricks??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Jun 23, 2004.

1. What do they sound like, i've never played on one but i have always wanted one. The closest music store to my house is like an hour and a half, and i dont want to drive to find out i hate the way the sound. Someone said they were really high sounds, liek twangy and metallic sounding, is that right. Well thanks for anyone that ansrews

2. phephron

phephron

May 5, 2004
    Get an album by Yes, or find anything with Chris Squire. He plays almost exclusively Ricks and is probably the best example that I can think of. They have a great sound.

3. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Ricks sound just awsome, and they play as good as they sound. Dont's take my woord for it, try one for yourself!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The first bass I ever gassed for was a blue Rickenbacker. In fact, I almost named my first band "Blue Ricky." Alas, I have never owned a Rick, and may have played only one, at a time when GC had one in stock. I guess they aren't bad, but there are so many more versatile instruments out there that they're way down on my list now. I think they're the bass to have if you're looking for that Rickenbacker sound, though.

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Remember Chris Squire plays with a pick (and RICs are the best basses for icking, IMHO). Other albums where you can find RICs that sound loud enough to be perfectly distinguished are "Magical Mistery Tour" (The Beatles -4001 used with a pick-) and "A farewell to kings" (Rush -4001 used fingerstyle-). There's a reissue of McCartney's 60's RIC, the V63, a special edition. Also there's the Chris Squire Signature 4001 and Lemmy's 4004. Particularly Lemmy's signature 4004 has a "not so distinctively RIC" sound.

Check them out. Good luck...

ANDRÉS

6. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Whatever Bro'! I've played everything from raggae to country, punk to heavy metal with mine, and all points between. I have slapped it, picked it, fingered it, and even bowed it one time (didn't like that). It's all a personal preference, but I have never found mine limiting. The only reason that I don't play it so much anymore is because it's thirty years old and I baby it, that and I have become awfully fond of 5 string 35"s anymore. But I still find that bass magical when I do play it!

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's what I said.

8. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    There's a certain sound that you will get from a Rick. Listen to the above mentionned artists and see if you like the sound. That will be a start. Go try one and see if it works for you...

9. Listen to Opiate and Undertow by Tool. Paul used a Ric. It has some great bottom. And cuts through rather nicely.