Ricky bass bridge with mute function quality

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tom Tobin, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Tom Tobin

Tom Tobin

Aug 2, 2019
    I need opinions on this bridge: Is the quality of this bridge any good? Does the mute function work well? Opinions, I need opinions.

Attached Files:

2. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    I was playing with the mutes activated on my Stingray the other day and it was pretty cool but no substitute for proper muting

3. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    ...oh and the Ric bridge looks OK to me

4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Many people do not like the Rickenbacker 4003 bridge, and swap it out for the Hipshot. Of course, the Hipshot has no mute.

Keep in mind that the Ric bridge requires a rout be made for mounting.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    For the record, that is the Allparts item, in your post.

6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Tone Twins 4.JPG '78 P-Bass-1.JPG Taking Jeff at his word, and assuming that bridge is functionally the same as the real ones on these Ricks;
    - Yes, the mute does work (I actually do use both of mine), but it can take some major (and time-consuming) tweaking to get the curvature of the thing correct, so that it works as it should. But, once done, the mute works quite well, IMO...
    - How effective is it? Again, IMO, it's pretty effective. Probably more so than the one in the bridge cover on my '78 P-Bass (yeah, I use that one, too), but since that mute is fixed and not adjustable, you have to be happy with the amount of muting you get - period.
    As an aside; both of mine had to have the rubber replaced when I got the basses. RIC sells replacements (Boutique section on their web site). They require some trimming to fit, but the rubber is quite nice for this kind of thing...:cool:

Oh, and by the way... welcome to Talk Bass!

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The Allparts bridge is functionally identical to the OEM Ric bridge at about 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Supposedly the newer Ric bridge has beefed up the castings, but ive had an Allparts on my clone build for three years with no sign of "lift". If it ever does, I can buy two more for the price of one OEM bridge. I like the chrome saddles on the Allparts too, instead of the dull zinc ones. The mute assembly and saddles requires a very precisely cut recess that is barely covered by the bridge, unless you are handy with a router, I'd pass. It works ok, a lot of fiddling with the knobs and some foam shaving to get it right, not something you could quickly screw on or off between songs and expect a consistent effect.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Another consideration, the "teeth" the strings pass through over the mute makes it impossible to palm mute over the bridge, one reason a lot of people prefer the hipshot. There is a lever activated mute, the Bassmute. Havent tried one myself, but its independent of the bridge, so no routing required:

Edit: it fastens on with double stick tape, so its reversible with no drilling.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  9. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I’ve never had an issue with that bridge design. I know a lot of people claim it’s the worst device ever to spring from the mind of man.

I’m not sure how to reconcile those two facts for you. Good luck in your quest.

10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    It’s not a bad bridge, just a bit of a PITA to intonate, but that’s set and forget unless you change string gauges all the time. The lack of palm mute behind the bridge pup is a minor inconvenience, Squire managed to do it somehow.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021