Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ricky Minor on American Idol

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Mar 15, 2006.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

First off, I gotta say I hate this show, but my wife loves it, and as she let me buy four basses in the past year, I tolerate it for her sake. :p

While 95% of the show is crap, Ricky Minor's bass work is the one redeeming feature. Last night they did Stevie Wonder songs, and Ricky was in top form. On "Signed, Sealed, Delivered," (butchered by the girl who sang it) Ricky was positively smokin'. I couldn't believe Randy didn't give him some kind of nod for his incredible playing.

2. I'm with you man. I started watching Idol because of my woman. Though I have to admit I do enjoy two of the fellas this year.

I was wondering if someone was going to post about the Stevie Wonder show. Minor was amazing all night IMO -- great material -- but he really drove the band on SSD. Did you see if he was playing his Ken Smith on that tune too? His tone was killer.

This is an aside, but it surprised me that some of the contestants weren't familiar with Stevie Wonder's music.

3. Did you hear the hi-hat work on "Part-Time Lover"? It nearly caused me to have a seizure. Who hired Bozzio to teach him those chops? :) Awesome to listen to.....

4. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    MY mother and sisters always watch Idol and i enjoy hearing their band and this year I really enjoy TAylor Hicks . The man has tons of soul and when he releases an album im definetly buying it . I would love to play in a band with him. Also the guy who did "Higher Ground" has an awesome rock voice.

5. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Minor is astounding on that show. Actually the whole band is excellent, considering the breadth of styles that they play and how quickly they pull together new tunes.

6. OMG - thank you for that link. I've been looking for a recording of it all day.

Signed, Sealed Delivered blew me away. Normally, when I hear a bass line, I can picture what they're doing. But on that, he left me totally stunned. It's been driving me nuts today, wanting to hear it again. THX

7. That is the only reason that I watch the show. I would kill to be in that band.

lowsound

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

How about his playing on Do I Do?? His band is hot and he's getting ALL the top gigs!

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm glad tightbidness posted the link so we could hear it again. I didn't even catch the drum part I was grinding my teeth so hard at the vocals from that pipsqueak. Even by Idol standards, he sucked BIG TIME. How the hell is he still on the show? Cowell was right when he said that this was the point where Stevie was turning down the volume.

10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Ricky Minor is one of the top musicial directors around right now. And one hell of a bassist!!!
    I believe he was MD for Whitney Houston for years.
    The man kills.

11. He is killing it. I know he has Paul Jackson, Jr. on guitar and Kenya Hathaway is one of the backup singers, but who is on drums?

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Paul Jackson Jr?!?!?
    Wow, didn't know that.

13. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    F***in Ricky Minor :bag: :D

I interned at SNL with Lenny Pickett in the music dept. in Jan-April of 03. I was n't a bass player then, But it still get chills remembering my meeting with Roscoe Beck and Dave Grissom when the Dixie Chicks came through. (I was a SRV nut and just talking to these guys about him was enough for me)

But when Christina Aguilera and her Horde of musician's came through, Ricky was in tow, and he left a bad taste in my mouth. I can understand what expectations he has to negotiate, especially in the world of Pop/R&B/Hip Hop. I mean I too was balls to the wall that whole week chasing after all 20 backing musicians and dancers with contracts so they could get paid for their performance.

As the band leader he just seemed to be out for himself. I didn't really talk to Fish the guitarist either.

I don't know. Those few months were a crash course in musician relations. I learned who was awesome to work with - and who I could give two S***s about.

For example:

The Donnas were a pleasure to work with

the short lived Zwan was definitely NOT (Except that Paz was a trip - I do remember tlaking about Perfect Circle with her)

Dixie Chicks backing band - the COOLEST groups of cats EVER - talk about professionalism just a pile of austin and nashville session players that loved what they do and to get paid. but they were very cordial to a little music intern gut worm like me.

Aguilera's backing musicians: Not Cool.

~just a little anecdote

14. What a great internship! That must have been incredible!

15. It's a Gibson Paul Jackson Jr. signature model:
    http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/signature/jacksonjr/PaulJacksonJr.html

Gibson experimented with a smaller headstock with straight string pull on the short-lived ES-336, which the PJJ is based on. In the quick cuts to him last week on AI it didn't appear that he was playing the sig. guitar.

16. Yeah, but I would give anything to form a GOTH METAL band with that kid KEVIN COVAIS from American Idol. He just seems so impressionable.

Within minutes, I bet the producers of the show could convince him to dye his hair black and don some sweet vampire teeth. This would RULE......Simon is TERRIFIED of vampire goths! ;)

17. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    And you could hit the road with Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir

18. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Oh boy, I am with you on this one! He was just absolutely amazing on that tune! I was sure that Randy was going to say something about it but he didn't.