1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ricky Minor to take over the Tonight Show

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pacman, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Sad to see Kevin go, but a great opportunity for Ricky.

Story here...

2. Congrats to Ricky!!!!!!!

3. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I heard that too. It seems to me the idol gig would be more fun as you play different things with different people, changing it up all thie time. But its apporaching ten years so maybe he wants something different.

4. isn't he a bass player?

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Bass players are often the "musical directors" in pits, touring shows, etc. Not a total surprise to tap a bass player to lead.

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    So who's gonna play the generic wha-wha guitar parts that all sound the same for every transition?!?

:)

John

7. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    That is cool news, if you're not familiar with Ricky Minor's story he has earned everything that he is getting. As for generic wah wah parts, they make bass wah pedals!

8. SpasticFingers

SpasticFingers

Mar 2, 2010
    I'm not familiar with his story. I've read the brief bio available on his web site and on Wikipedia though. Neither mention his actually playing much bass, just that he was musical director for several long and prolific gigs. His "client" list (which is a who's who of popular American artists) I'd assume are artists that he's produced for. Are you familiar with his playing style and playing history, or any recordings that can demonstrate his abilities?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well there's american idol for the past 6 years or so. plus all the acts he md'd for he also played bass for. i think he's a good enough bass player, but i don't dig the idol band at all.