Ricky Pickup Height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, May 2, 2004.

1. Just bought a new Ric 4003 (F#%$£@g awesome), but in experimenting with removing the pickup cover I've messed up the pickup height.

Does anyone know the correct distance from the top of the pickups to the strings or know of a website about this.

Does anyone play Ricks anymore? Don't hear much mention of them in this forum
  2. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    I'm in a similar boat with you. So I'd like to hear some input.
  3. Yeah, I did a search for this subject in the setup column and someone had asked the same question a few weeks ago and got zero replies. Maybe I'll have more luck this time.

Where are all you Ricky owners?

So have you got a modern Ric that just has the pickup cover as opposed to the horseshoe magnet type that they used to have. If so have you removed it or not.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The pup height is probably the least critical adjustment on your bass. If you intentionally misadjust the pups all the way through thier range, the only place that you'll usually find a problem is at each end of the adjustment range. At the Very lowest setting (max gap between pup and string) you will notice a lowering of the output to the amp. At the very highest setting (minimum gap) you will notice something called magnetic choking. This is caused by the magnetic coupling to the string actually acting as a magnetic brake that will damp the sustain.

Play around with it. You can't hurt anything. On the other hand, you aren't likely to improve anything either.

Sorry if this is TMI. I don't know any other way to explain.

Harrell S
  5. No that's helpful thanks.

I was just wondering if the manufacturer recommends an optimum height for volume evenness across the string. Otherwise I'll be fiddling with it forever. I know what I'm like.
  6. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "I know what I'm like."

LOL. I know. I'm exactly the same way.

You might try contacting Rick' through snail mail, or just give them a phone call.

Good luck.

Harrell S