Ricky Williams Retires...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jazzin', Jul 25, 2004.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The Miami Dolphins HB has retired. The news is out. he just retired today. hes only 27 years old and has only played in the NFL for 5 years.
  2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    guess he has enough money now that he can live a wealthy life..
    no need to "work" anymore..
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Football. Meh. :scowl:
  4. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I hope he blows it all on crack and booze and he has to work at KFC...that'd be great.

YA CFL!
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How strange. He struggled with some kind of anxiety disorder or something that made it incredibly hard to be around people and the media. I wonder if this has something to do with it...that's why he used to do interviews with his helmet and visor on.

brad cook
  6. His second drug test failure has much to do with it. After failing another test for marijuana, he was fined $650,000.
  7. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    He just wants to smoke pot. Since the league fines him everytime he does, he decided to retire. I guess he has enough money, but if it were me, I would choose football over Mary Jane.

Yes there were other factors in his decision to retire, but even a blind man can read this writing on the wall.
  8. Do you remember when Robert Smith from the Vikings retired? Or do you remember when Barry Sanders retired? Both were at the top of their game and had lucrative contracts. I think Smith was 28 and Sanders was a bit older, but RBs take a hell of a lot of abuse. Whereas recievers take some serious hits, RBs get it every play, even non-running plays- because they have to block linemen and linebackers. It's a bit unfair to say it's because of being fined for liking pot, was he suspended for the season? It may have been a consideration, but a lot of people don't really know what it's like to really hurt to get out of bed, but I'm pretty sure an NFL RB knows that feeling all too well.

Take a look at Jim Brown, he retired after 9 years after leading the league in yards in 8 of those years. I think he was like 32. He can still walk and use all the parts of his body, unlike Johnny Unitas who couldn't even hold a pen to sign autographs, and as a QB he didn't take anywhere near the hits on every play like a RB.
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good point.
  10. As a Dolphin fan, its another kick in balls. Yet another twist in our turbulent off season. I'm gonna be burning my Ricky Williams poster soon. I'll post pics.
  11. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    He's also ridiculously immature. When he was pulled over for speeding here in Austin a couple years ago, he refused to talk to the cop and instead called his mom on his cell phone. Usually, such behavior would merit a severe beating by the police, but, of course, this was par for the course with our football players.

Ricky's rationale for retiring indicates he still hasn't matured. I would respect it if he had succeeded and wanted to go out while he could still think and walk (like what's his name from Minnesota) but the "I want to travel and smoke pot" is pretty lame.
  12. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I can appreciate someone making a drastic change in their life with little warning, but you have to think that the Dolphins organization is pretty much in shambles right now... A week before training camp starts? And just after the last two big name RB's in free agency get signed? His timing sucks.... Hopefully Travis Minor can carry the load like he keeps saying he can....

13. Whatever made him retire must REALLY be eating him, since ESPN reported he will spend the entire football season outside of the US, so he can avoid the sport entirely.
  14. BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    All this makes Bill Polian (Indianapolis Colts GM) look like a genius for drafting Edgerrin James over RW back in the 1998 (?) draft...
  15. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It is a shame that a player with such talent would walk away from the sport, but there is more to life than just a game.

good for him.
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah...like weed. Lots and lots of weed.

Piles even.

brad cook
  17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

As much as Dolphins fans must be hurting over this latest shock to their systems, I bet coach Dave Wannstedt is hurting even worse. Why? Because this is a do-or-die year for him and this latest blow will not make his task any easier.

The coach put the best face he could on the situation in TV interviews today, but I bet he is sweating bullets about now.

As for Williams, I hope he has tons of money socked away for his "early retirement" fund. Extensive travels in Asia and Europe will drain his retirement treasury pretty darned fast.

This is my prediction: By NEXT YEAR at this time, Williams will be offering his services to the NFL again, "refreshed" after a year-long hiatus from pro-football. In fact, he might even make a late-season come-back this year--if his funds dry up.
  18. I don't see any difference in someone asking RW "what are you going to do in your 'retirement?' and answering "travel around" (I didn't read anywhere where RW said "smoke truckloads of weed" unlike Larry Allen or that one Pittsburgh running back) and Barry Sanders':

The guy's job entails getting the living shizzle kicked out of him by large men that are trying to lay a hurt on him, he's not happy doing it anymore. He made some good bank doing it, let him enjoy the fruits of his labor, he'll have to find something, but he's young enough to do it.