Rickys back in town...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mrx41862, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Hi,
    It's a sordid tale...A bunch of years ago I had a Rick played it hard, customized with chrome hardware, some custom painted pickguards and nameplate, and had the original pup's removed and replaced with EMGs, ( a P/J) setup. The bass played like a dream, and sounded great. It was not however in the best looking condition , many dings and scratches, the finish peeling off the back that looks like someones sunburn is peeling, and all the white bordering turned yellow. I was at a place in life where I didn't know if I'd play anymore, getting married, kids, moving, and a change of musical tastes, got into MIDI and computers. So I sold it to the guy who did the custom work and always did all my setups and stuff. Well as time has it I went back to playing the bass, I always kept one, a Yamaha BB1600 with a custom paint job, so I could keep my fingers moving. A few weeks ago I met up with the guy at a local guitar show, and he said he found the bass sitting in his shops basement. I took a ride over and it's in worse shape than I remember, but when I played it, it brought back alot of memories. I have a beautiful maple Cirrus, and I still own the Yamaha which one day I'll do some custom work on, but I'm pulled toward buying the Rick back. The guy gave me a price 3 times what he bought it from me for, and I almost s**t.
    He said well I see them going for this much, blah,blah,blah.....I thought he and I were a little more friendly than that. (Hard Lesson)
    First question==Do you think with all the mods, it's still worth what an original Rick is worth?
    Second question==Even after seeing the beat up condition, would you still buy it back for sentimental reasons?
    Third question==Would you give into the price, even though it is pissing you off?
    This bass sat in his basement for over 7 years so it's not going anywhere fast. I read how attached to your basses some of you are so you know what I'm going through. Just needed to get this out.
    AHHHH I feel a little better now......but seriously please reply to this anyone.
  2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    First question. With the mods, no way is it worth an "unmodified" RIC. Run a list of sales off of Ebay under completed items and show him. They do get modified RICS on there and they don't command the same price. Or show him any bass that's had routing done to it to accomodate new pickups. Kiss of death, I think, on resale.

Second question. Yes. I would get it back. You could restore it to its original glory and it would make a good story for your posterity.

Third question. Grind him down even if it takes a while. Get him to agree to take it to a music store, they will likely give you a low retail price and an even lower trade in price.
  3. I agree with Max. With all the mods it's not worth near as much as an unmolested one. As an example, at my local bass emporium, there were two basses sitting side by side - two white Rick 4003's, from the mid 80's. One was $1200 CDN, one was $800 CDN. The difference? The $800 one had a Badass bridge installed, and the tuning keys changed (the jerk even drilled new holes and left the old ones open). Otherwise, it was actually in nicer condition. Nothing like pickup routing though, so I'd suspect the one in question would be worth even less.

4. Listen

May 19, 2002
    you could always steal it;)
  5. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I don't know your current financial situation but I can say that if I had the opportunity to buy back a '73 checkerboard Ric 4001 that I sold because it needed an expensive refret I would buy it back for an outrageous sum. If I could divorce my 1st wife again....I would :p If I could buy back the '67 Mercury Cougar that I owned/rebuilt just after high school.....I would. Sentiment adds alot to the value....some think this is silly but for me it is a valid part of a purchase/ownership (I'd never sell my 1st real non-plywood bass....a Quest model.....not because it is great, but because I learned to play on it).
    I'd assume you didn't sell it to him for much money so three times that may not be so bad.......if you can afford it make him an offer that is in the ballpark with what he is asking then once the transaction is complete tell him that you think he is a 'tool' then go enjoy your old/new purchase.
  6. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree, try to get him to understand that a modified Ric will bring a lower price.

But then do what you must. This bass was meant for you. A pretty cool story, there is a cosmic force at work here.

Good luck, I hope you get the bass back.
  7. Very true, sentiment adds more value to any bass.

Like my 96 Squier P bass. Bought new for $150. Would I sell it? Nope. I could go out and buy another one, exactly the same as the one I've got, but it would not have nearly as much sentimental value.

The Rick in question wouldn't be close to resale value. One, being heavily modified kills the resale value. Two, being in such bad condition kills the resale value. I'd probably pay no more than $350 or $400 for it. I'd probably pass it by anyway.

What is he asking for it?
  8. Thanks to all who've replied so far. First if I ever do get it back I won't be restoring it to original condition because it looks and sounds the way I want it too, no offense intended to collectors who respect the original condition of the instrument. Second, he wants $900.00 I see Rics in mint condition selling for that on ebay. That's what's pissing me off, but every scratch and ding on that thing came from me. Ahh....I'm gonna offer him $400.00 and go no higher than $500.00. Sentimentality is one thing, but eating is another, and I got 5 mouths to feed.:cool:
  9. 900? He should be getting fitted for one of those special overcoats that buckles in the back! I just got my brand new 4003 for that price.
  10. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    With the exception of yourself because of the obvious sentimental value, no one else in their right mind would pay that much for this "Franken-Rick" (especially if it's as beat up as you say), and chances are he knows that. With all the mods, it has no real "collector's" value. I think $500 is more than a fair price, but in the end it's a matter of "supply and demand". How bad do you really want this thing.

- Frank.