1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ridiculous comments regarding practicing technique.

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by 6stringbassist, Mar 8, 2008.

1. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    This thread is over on the UK 'basschat' site, a site I find myself logging onto less and less these days.

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14798&st=100

They've had some daft threads so far this year, but this beats them all.

It's regarding a regular column that Janek writes for the UK 'bass guitar magazine'.

All I can say is that if people really believe that technique gets in the way of creativity, then their creative boundaries must be very close together, or they have tremendous natural ability.

You need to be able to play something that you hear, or is what they hear already a part of their repertoire, and they don't push the boundaries of their playing, that's cool, but why criticize people who do.

They end up with the usual Steve Lawson and Michael Manring bashing.

2. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    KĂžbenhavn
    Well that was a fairly embarrasing read. But really, quite humorous when you consider the amount of posters who don't know, and will never know, what they're talking about. Uninformed opinions are the stuff of many a comedy - it's almost tragic :)

3. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    it was fairly worrying to hear that the point was missed by that much. but you take the rough with the smooth I guess.

Easy,

Janek

4. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    I've been working on the exercises in the magazine myself, along with some stuff that I was given by Todd Johnson last week, I've found that the accuracy, and fluidity of my playing has really improved in a very short space of time.

5. adri24an

adri24an

Nov 2, 2007
    Madrid, Spain
    Endorsing Artist: TC Electronic Amps, Ernie Ball Strings, Monocases
    can someone upload the article? i live in spain and there is no way of buying it here...

thanks!!

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Quite a sickening read. I wasn't expecting that...

I actually take offense to it as a musician trying to perfect my craft.

Sorry Janek, you don't actually deserve the verbiage they so carelessly threw into that thread. VERY similar to the anti-Jeff Berlin tirades -- the only reason I know better is I know Jeff personally and have been his student in the past. I would suspect it would be similar for you, Janek. Nothing but respect.

7. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    yes, the madness seemed to continue way into the night over on that forum....

I think I posted the last thing I'll post there. The point was just being missed over and over again. It's like a competitive bloodsport or something over there. And those are my people!! I'm from the UK.

Funny old world.

Easy,

Janek

8. adri24an

adri24an

Nov 2, 2007
    Madrid, Spain
    Endorsing Artist: TC Electronic Amps, Ernie Ball Strings, Monocases
    ignore them and keep working, you are living what they only can dream...

9. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    +1 I think there is a lot of jealousy in that thread.

Steve

10. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    "Home of the Deep Discussion" all right.
    Deep in what I can only guess!

Couldn't resist

11. Amastacatious

Amastacatious

Jul 20, 2005
    The people over at those forum were talking about you as if you were a politician, trying to keep you from getting elected. Pretty lame if you ask me. Does anyone have these execercises that were mentioned? If so would anyone like to post?

Also, in regards to practicing technique, I see it sort of similar to athletes. Just because a football player lifts weights, runs certain patterns, and all the football player drills they do doesn't mean they're any less of an athlete because they're not always playing the game. In almost anything physical you HAVE to practice technique as a way of making your body used to the motions, and as Janek always says with music, so you are not inhibited physically to convey what you want emotionally.

Maybe I'm ignorant on this subject, but to me it seems like bass players argue about techinique more so than any other musicians. I've never heard a drummer knocking another drummer for practicing rudiments or anything of that sort. I've never heard guitarists bitch about one of their peers practicing scales or string crossings or anything "techinique related". I don't think there is a successful classical musician in history who would say that practicing good technique is a waste of time. And as for the speed thing, one of my old acoustic teachers told me that Edgar Meyer practices solos starting at 30BPM and will move the metronome up 1 notch at a time.

12. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    It definitely seems like you're right - to a vast number of bass players, practicing technique seems to be a pretty taboo topic - how absolutely stupid!

13. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Its funny, I just turned 50, I love to play, I am a decent player. I find that big controversies like this one interest me less and less. I guess its because I tend to look for the proof in the pudding; a lot of guys can theorize, count beats-per-minute (that was the dumbest of all the comments i read),and spout off their philosophies. With Janek.....the proof is there- why does one need to go beyond that? This guy has a fresh voice and concept, I just take him at his word and listen to what he is saying musically. If he suggests ways to build technique....what's there to do except to give it a try, or not- no fussing either way.
    By the way Janek, what's the chance of a project with Wayne Krantz? That would be a worthwhile pairing to hear i think.
    All best
    Jon

14. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Jon,

thanks for your kind words.

I often think about situations that would include Wayne Krantz. I'm a huge fan of his music, and his sensibilities. It's awe inspiring what he does, and to have a unique voice on the guitar and be instantly recognizable at this stage in the evolution of the music and the instrument is really something to behold.

I got the chance to play with Wayne when I first moved to NYC, and have always remembered it as being a fantastic experience. I hope to be able to write something that I could call Wayne to play on. I think I might start by trying a couple of trio gigs in the end of april or in may sometime with a drummer friend of mine that's moving from DC to NYC. Sean Rickman. You have to check this guy out. I was fortunate enough to be a member of the group Dapp Theory for a couple of years at the same time Sean was. We became great friends and I consider him to be one of the most influential drummers I've heard in a long time. I'm always inspired whenever I play with him, and I'm looking forward to him moving to NYC and to be able to play music with him again.

Maybe a new live album towards the end of the summer with that trio would be a great place to form a new musical relationship with Wayne. I'll keep you posted.

Easy,

Janek

15. Does anybody have a scan or maybe even just a summary of the exercises in this article? I live in the Philippines and they don't sell that magazine here. Thanks.

Paul

16. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I'd love that as well. I have a copy of the Hanon book (or excerpts from it) from my piano days, perhaps you could recommend some specific exercises Janek?

17. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
  18. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    That's awesome, I'm so glad to hear you use Hanon on bass! I've messed around with those excercises in the past. Amazing how well it works on both instruments.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Funnily enough, this thread is actually breaking Talkbass rules by slagging another forums off. If you don't like what they have to say, steer clear. Bad mouthing them only creates bad blood.

20. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia