Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ridiculous prices on eBay

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nil, May 9, 2001.

1. I can't believe some of the prices of things on eBay at the moment, I mean, is a late 70's Ampeg V4B worth $515 (and rising)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...0&showTutorial=0&ed=989464765&indexURL=0&rd=1

(can't remember how to create the link proper - what's the HTML do this?) - well, looking @ my post I seem to have answered muy own question! :D

Now, this is considering at the moment the last bunch of SVT's and V9's went for around $600-$700...
    Electro-Harmonix pedals for (last time I looked) up to >$400 with the reserve not met yet? Geez! At this rate the collectors will be the only ones with the good sounds! :)

Dunno why I keep on eBay, maybe it's just for the perve factor seeing what's changing hands around the place... ;)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    These prices don't bother me at all. I'd never pay that much for that stuff.

3. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    I think EBay is filled with people looking for bargains, and there's nothing wrong with that. Its just had to come by. I bought my Tascam 414 on EBay and the guy claims to have used it primarily as a mixer. Upon receiving it, it looked brand new, minus the original box. At less than $200, it was a steal. But the Porta 02s only go for $25-50 less than new. You just gotta keep your eyes peeled. But generally speaking, I agree whole heartedly. Especially when looking at stuff other than bass gear, like Matchbox and Hotwheels cars, which I use EBay for. The ratio between sellers looking for profit and buyers looking for bargains is equal, preventing it from becoming an online pawn shop I guess.

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    On the other hand....

An MIM Jazz just went for $191.....and I recently bought one for $220 including a new hardshell case.
    I just pay what I am willing to...and don't worry about everyone else....:)

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Me neither. It's not "my" money:D

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I read somewhere a while ago (this is a vague memory, so feel free to dismiss it) that some important college did a study and found that on new items, you were 10% more likely to pay MORE than retail for something off of ebay. I don't know what that has to do with the topic, but it sure was fun posting it.

7. I guess I just get peeved 'cause since the selection of gear here is (relatively) lousy, I have to look overseas to get what i'm after...and then with the exchange rate so-called "steals" work out expensive anyway (case in point, a used V4B from a retailer recently set me back $250USD - which cost me ~$650NZD).

But then, why are people happy to pay >$500 for an amp I found with no trouble for $250?

8. Yes, Bruce had a thread on that. Hopefully it will show up here, you can get deals on EBay but you have to be very smart about it, the problem I see is that bass products go through phases. If you are looking for a MusicMan, a Warwick, or as always a Fender you have to be really on top of it to get one for a better deal than you could find in a store or elsewhere on the web. I see to many basses go for way more than they are worth because people get caught in the competition

9. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I suspect it has a lot to do with convenience and access. Living in a large urban area makes many things easy, and cheaper, to come by. When you get out in the sticks a little bit, you have more limited choices and selection. Paying that $500 might be high to you, but to a guy who might have to drive 100 miles, not to mention the time, that might represent a deal.
    Still, and this has preached up and down, the key to Ebay is that you MUST know what it is you're buying, and what it's market value is. My final thought is that you got a deal if you're happy with the purchase - the fact that you paid more than something might normally cost doesn't always factor into satisfaction with the deal.

10. That all makes sense. I'd been lurking on eBay for a while looking for a new amp, missing out all over the show. At least I knew exactly what I was after, and what to look for.

My irk was just an observation that over the time i've been looking (not that long really) things have jumped in price waaaay over what they're worth (or what I feel they're worth, and i'm pretty fair). I live over 10,000 miles away and still feel that $500 is too much! :)

No matter how much, it'll still take forever to get the amp to me!

11. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
  12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
  13. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    looked like a strat to me at first. but now i see the bridge pup isnt strat like. poor pic and my bad.

I'll go stand in the corner until I feel I can make a worthy attempt at posting again :(

Or maybe all this studying is frying my brain?

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, it was study done by some people at MIT and they took a large sample and showed that in the vast majority of cases, people pay more than retail prices for stuff sold on ebay - they actually financed the study by buying webcams at retail and selling them on ebay for more - they made a big profit!! :rolleyes:

The other part of their study showed that all the people involved thought they had got a great deal - even when it was proved to them that they had been ripped off! They just got caught up in the bidding and actually believed that they had "won" something desirable - whereas all they were getting was the privilege of paying over the odds.

I now think it's like a Tax on stupid people - like the National Lottery in the UK - if you are clever, don't allow yourself to get caught up in it and know exactly what you want and how much to pay, then fine - but the thing is that most people fail on at least one of these categories.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What happens a lot of times, from some I've been in, is that testosterone starts pumping towards the close of an auction, and the object of the auction is not to get the item at a good price, but to "WIN" at all costs, however high.... "My PayPal can whoop your PayPal, pal." :rolleyes:

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    well, I did get a nearly new Conklin GT-7 for $600. COuldn't get that at Guitar Center :D

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, judging from your other posts around here, I guess this is because you fall into the very small segment of the population that is in the "non-stupid"/"not entirely motivated by testosterone" category !! ;)

Actually, I thought it was funny last time I mentioned this (and how ebay was mostly a rip-off), that people tried to contradict me by saying that they had got great prices on stuff they had sold on ebay and that it was a great way of clearing out your attic/loft and getting money for it! :rolleyes:

18. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ebay is lesson in stupidity and/or ignorance.

some people see it as their only way to get gear. most of us are smart enough to check with a local dealer (granted we live near one) or to shop some of the music sites around the net.

Personally, I will not buy gear on ebay. If I can't play it, then I won't buy it. Most of the retailers at least allow a grace period for satisfaction.

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The thing w/eBay is you have to be a smart shopper. If you know what you want, you're ok. If you just start looking aroung & see something "cool", you have a higher chance paying too much.

I've gotten caught up in some auctions that I paid way too much for something.:( Now I just shop for what I am 100% sure about.

On the other hand, Ive put stuff up that I thought wouldn't even sell & got top dollar for it. :)

One's person's trash is another person's treasure.

20. Sad thing is that's probably a reissue. The original ones go for three times that amount. Robert Smith (from The Cure) said that the reissues are crap, and that they weigh about half of what the originals do. And if anyone knows Bass VI's, it's old Bob Smith.

I keep hoping I'll find one for $50 one day. We all have our dreams...