1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ridiculous snow!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jiggybass, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    And I love it! I swear about two feet or more of it!

It's been snowing all day and night, and I nearly didn't make it down my street, I had snow coming up onto my hood!

For all you southern ontarians, How you holding up?

2. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Lucky you. It was a nice comfy (sunny) 65-70 F today in norcal.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I walked down the street to 7-11 in the storm. Not ONE person was out there. It was like I was in Resident Evil : Canadian Edition.

4. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    You were...be very afraid

5. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Bout two feet over here in St.Thomas. Pretty wicked. The plows were out all night and EVERY street it plowed, except one. the one I needed to drive on to get to work.

Its days like this I love my snowblower.

6. DistantTremor

DistantTremor

Nov 29, 2007
    I seriously can't get out of my driveway.

In some ways, it's pretty cool. But in other ways... well, I wanted to try out this Rickenbacker bass that the nearest Sam Ash had in stock lately this weekend... and I can't. :scowl:

7. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Well the storm passed. It's the winterest winter I've ever seen (okay, I'm 19, but still).

Aftermath picture:
    [​IMG]

8. clarifixer

clarifixer

Jan 22, 2008
    Powell, Ohio
    We got a record 20 inches here in Columbus. A bit of a strain on the system.
    I personally was born in Cleveland, lived in Wisconsin for a while, and my first son was born during the blizzard of '78 in rural Indiana, so it's not new to me.

9. Strange Brew meets Resident Evil!

Take off you knob! I'm gonna like eat your brains, eh? So if you wouldn't mind, please take off your tuke, eh?

10. Blinkn

Blinkn

Mar 7, 2008
    I jumped off my porch today to see just how deep the snow was, I was buried to my neck and I'm 6'4

11. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Nice, I remember a storm alot like that when I used to live in Boucherville, QC.

12. Just south of Louisville, Kentucky....

We only got between 8" and a foot around here but it was enough to shut down a lot of businesses and the airport for a short while. I wanted to stop at Burger King yesterday morning on the way home from work but they were closed. Several other fast food places were closed as well, but Burger King is still closed. I guess the owner is afraid of the white stuff.

13. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I'm not too worried about YOU eating my brains. you're clearly not Canadian, eh?
    now, take off your coat, grab yer beer and for God's sake take off that damn toque!!

14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    hadcrut-jan08-520.

Twelve-month long drop in world temperatures wipes out a century of warming
    No more than anecdotal evidence, to be sure. But now, that evidence has been supplanted by hard scientific fact. All four major global temperature tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped precipitously.

A compiled list of all the sources can be seen here( http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.co...es-say-globally-cooler-in-the-past-12-months/). The total amount of cooling ranges from 0.65C up to 0.75C -- a value large enough to wipe out most of the warming recorded over the past 100 years. All in one year's time. For all four sources, it's the single fastest temperature change ever recorded, either up or down.

Exactly why the new "evil mankind" mantra is "climate change".

15. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Tuque! It's from the french word tuque!

*random angry french rambling*

16. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Really?
    Hm. Learn something new every day.

17. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I think "Tuque" is a french thing. you guys have all your crazy ways of doing things.

I think both are acceptable.

18. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuque

A toque also means the shaved part of a monk's hair, if I'm not mistaken.

But if everybody says toque, I guess it is a good reason to say it :p

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Let's see. Let's track my last four days. Clothing. Shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Thursday after work I got a good surf in. The waves were a playful head high. I've noticed the water is getting warmer. Might be able to jump into a spring suit soon. Friday, I got round of golf in. Got a sunburn because I put sunscreen on my face but not in the part where my shirt opens at the collar. Saturday was another surf. Sunday was a surf session and I jammed with a guitarist buddy of mine. We had to turn on the fan because it was hot. The wax melted on one of my surfboards. Inside the garage. Yeah, it's been a tough March so far. :smug:

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    We got 56cm here in Ottawa, just short of two feet for the metric impaired ;) In the last week we got 86cm (34 inches). 411cm (13.5 feet) so far this winter.

I took some pictures, but they really don't give you a feel of just how much snow we have. I had to top the snow banks so that I could blow the snow over them.

And the reason the snowbanks are so low is that the city has blown them away twice so far this winter.

[​IMG]

Above is the neighbors house and my Ranger for scale. Snow from the driveway mainly goes onto the snow banks or his yard.

[​IMG]

This is the snow in the back yard. I have been very aggressive about keeping snow off the back yard this year.

See how far back the edge of the snow is? That is because we had some very warm weather and rain this winter and the snow melts from the front first.