Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ridiculous things you've heard from music salespeople

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jun 18, 2001.

1. This happened like 8 years ago, but I just remembered it and I thought I'd share. I was in a music store in Boston trying out Modulus 5 and 6 strings and the manager came up to me with the usual sales talk. But I don't know how he ended up as the manager because he was like, "These are really good basses. They've got that 'Low A'."

I don't know though. Perhaps I misjudged him. Maybe he detunes his 5's and 6's????? :D

I'm sure you guys have all heard some ignorant things from guitar salesmen too. Any stories?

2. I was looking for a first bass for a friend, and we were at this small music store, and this guy kept trying to sell us this Samick P copy, and the only redeaming factor he could come up with was that it has a warrenty. I had told him that my friend had complete access to my MIA P and that the samick would be useless, but the guy still tried to sell it to me.

Lets see, MIA P or a Samick?

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    "Flatwound strings? We don't sell that brand..."

--Resident Guitar Center String "Guru"

4. " Yes, this bass has very good Humbuckers "

( while pointing at very cheap-looking split-coil pickups )

5. "That bass, well, that bass goes for something like $1800. If you add a case, hmmm, I'd say another $200. So the total would be $2,000. I could take something like 20% off that and sell this handsome looking G&L 2500 for the lowest price in town: $1600. I don't think your going to find a bargain like that anywhere, but if you do, please let me know so I have the opportunity of matching the price."

I then called BassNW and they quoted the same bass, with a case, for $900. The local salesman wasn't even in the ballpark so I decided not to call him so he could try to match the price. I bought the L2500 from BassNW and I have recently stopped be that local store and the L2500 the local salesman quoted for me still sits there. He originally gave me a price over a year ago. It's kind of a shame because it is a sweet bass, just not that sweet.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    "We don't carry Spectors, but these Deans are comprable" Direct quote, I kid you not!!!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

We won't be stocking Peavey Cirrus basses as there's no demand - but you can order one!

We won't be stocking Warwick wide-neck basses ...etc. etc.

8. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Went to a GC a while back to try a Warwick. The action was so high (about 1/2") I couldn't even play it. I asked if someone there could lower it a bit, and he said "No, but if I bought the bass, there was a music store down the street that could do that for me."
    Doc

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I went to Daddy's Junkie music on Com ave. in Beantown once with a friend to help him get a guitar. He plugged in an Ibanez that buzzed like a circular saw (he had tried a couple others on the same fender amp, no buzz). the salesguy said they all sounded like that without effects, and that he should buy a multi effects rack unit to hide the buzz.

10. I was looking around for a g*tar, and i liked this MIM telecaster. I asked onr of the the guitar guys there (BTW, this is the biggest musical instruments chain in Canada) why fender didn't make Mexi teles with rosewood fretboards. The guy goes, "No way, sure they make them". I kept telling him that they didn't. Anyways, after 10 minutes of checking on his computer he said: "you know what, they don't...but i can sell you this squire..."

by this time i was alreasy playing a warwick...

he's the same guy who told me "wearing your bass high ****s up your hand"

he was fired a week later, and now works at KFC

11. i went in to GC to ask about an extension cab for my WM-15, and the guy tried to sell me on a 4x10. it would only be getting 100 watts.

12. When I was buying my Ampeg guitar cabinet, the salesman told me "You know, these are comparable with top of the line Marshall and Mesa cabs"

If that were true then everyone would be buying these $350 cabs, not several hundreds more on Marshall and Mesa.

13. They didnt have the bass wah I was testing in stock, so the salesguy tells me that the guitar version would sound better because it wouldnt effect the lower notes so I could still play it like a regular bass.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "I'll sell it to you for the list price"

The place went out of business within the year.

15. At a used and vintage store downtown: "We don't have any Fender Jazzes in, but this Memphis knock off is almost as good.

I was looking at a Fender Jazz five string at this other store, and I asked the guy what the fingerboard was made out of, because it was a lighter colour than the rosewood ones (I later found out it was Pau Ferro) "That's rosewood, it's just a different colour because it's from a different tree."

16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Oh boy, this is my kind of thread -- bashing music salesmen! Things I have actually heard coming out of salesmen's mouths:

1) "I wouldn't buy that [used] amp -- nobody famous plays them."
    2) When asking if the DiMarzio cables I was interested in were shielded, as opposed to the Conquests and Horizons I usually buy: "All cables are shielded."
    3) When the salesmen wanted me to sell my brand new 6x10 and buy a Hartke 1x15 and 2x10 setup: "I would get rid of that 6x10 and buy something like this. This is a very popular setup -- we've sold a lot of this setup."
    4) When a store couldn't (didn't want to) match a Musician's Friend price: "Pretty soon there won't be any music stores left -- we can't compete with the internet." Boo hoo.
    5) When I was trying out a bass wah pedal: "That's not the way you use a wah." And: "A guitar wah would work just fine for bass."

17. so now he tells people "Eating your fried chicken ****s up your hand " ?? ;p

18. Very first day I started playing bass, I went and bought a tuner, the guy was like "You play bass?" "You need this tuner right here." He said it was a chromatic (which it is) but it cost me $90!!! I checked a few other places, and the same tuner was about $50 cheaper. (sings) "Memooooooriesssss...."

19. did u take it back, ??

urgghhh, if they did something like that to be i'dddddddddd,, anyway, thats what i like about myself, i never get any crap off sales people, i know how they work i tell em that and get it a hell of a lot cheaper, like when they give you free stuff!!,

you think oh,, how kind, it's only free cos they get a hell of a lot of free stuff from distributers, granted some are good guys, but the bigger stores!!

my bass teacher said to me, " your not a man to be argued with!"

i replied " no, i'm a people person!"

hit em hard, and hopefully they won't hit you back( at least protect yourself with the peavey cirrus hanging on the wall! :)

20. first do some research, and then go to the store, and say " good day sir, i would like to purchase the
    (brandname)(itemname) that will cost me approx (price)according to the smart-buyer's guide. and pronto plz. ", that's how i do it, and i always get what i want :D