1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Riff stuck in my head, how to move it along?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by santucci218, Mar 13, 2008.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
  2. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
    If you send me the file I'll host it for you.

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    pm me your email, please.

4. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
  5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    email sent...now reading other post...will check it out!

6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    what i am talking about is like...you know how say you want to hear how a pedal sounds or something, so you click on a link and it takes you to a blank page with a quicktime player...is there anywhere to do that?

Also....as soon as he posts the link, tell me what you guys think...

Yes i messed up a little, no i didnt want to record it again.

7. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
  8. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
    That's a pretty cool riff. Nice recording too. What do you use to record?

9. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    a USB Interface (Lexicon Omega)
    and Cubase SX3

I used the direct out line from my GK head

10. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    any input on the riff, where can i take it from there?

11. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Not sure what you're looking for in terms of input. Sounds good to me. I'd just tighten it up a little. Are you playing it to a click-track? Sounds like it slows down a bit in certain parts.

12. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Sadly, since the chorus is an odd time sig and the riff is 4/4 i cant do a click track because it messes me up! If i was better at cubase i could do something but im not...

What im trying to ask is...how do i take that and turn it into a full bassline for a song?

13. try to think of a vocal tune and then the changes

14. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ill take your guys advice and make a new copy and hopefully host it so we can see if i am doing what you actually said.

Also, any input on how to host this mother so you can just click a link and listen to it? i would hate to use all Bass Tee's band width.

15. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    The good thing with this site (www.zshare.net) is it requires no registration. When you upload a file there, you get a link to the file and the file starts to play instantly.

Try this link (copied from the Funk 101 -thread): http://www.zshare.net/audio/1322022d7d6ebf/

EDIT: Listened to the clip. Don't really know what to do with that as such though... Guess you need a band to develop it into a song. Do you have only this bassline or a chord progression as well?

16. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I never really took the time to write out the chord progression of it :D

maybe i should do that...

17. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Ok i redid it again...some new ideas in there.

i know its a little sketchy...i dont have a chorus pedal so i played the same part twice...they are onbeat...but off, i know. I cant use cubase well so give me a bit of leadway if you will.

Note stupid, comical ending...

riff.mp3 - 0.92MB

NOTE, FIREFOX WILL NOT PLAY IT...OPEN IN INTERNET EXPLORER.

18. I haven't listened to the riff yet since I'm at work, but I've been in a similar situation. I just recently got a little recording setup and found that once you have a riff layed down sometimes you need to give it time and come back to it later. Also, if you play any guitar or keyboards you might want to lay a bit of that on top.

19. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    make sure you check it out when you get home man, also, if you want, ide be down with exchanging bass lines via email and stuff so we can mess around with em.

20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hey man I listened to your riffs and all I could hear in my head was the drum line that could be built under it.

I would take the basic rhythm of your first riff and build a drum part. Have that start out for a couple of bars then come in with the bass line for a couple more bars. Maybe with an ambient, swirling guitar lick building up until it joins in doubling your main riff for a couple more bars...? THEN, you can start the song =)