Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Riff writing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by anubis101, Nov 4, 2000.

1. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    Will someone out there in the land of good bassplayers please help me????!!!!! How do I write good riffs??

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Write loads of bad ones.

This is not a as flippant as you think. As a punter you only hear the stuff that passed the bands quality control.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I thought all the "good" riffs had already been written. :D

BTW-
    Are you talking riffs such as "Black Dog" or "Sunshine Of Your Love"? If so, then break those down & examine why those are considered to be "good" riffs.
    Is it the note choice?
    The rhythm?
    The feel?

I don't really play riffs, per se...so wadda I know. ;)

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, Anubis, what do you want to achieve by learning to write good riffs?

Will C.:cool:

5. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    I want to make my bass playing more interesting...cause right now its boring....

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, Anubis. I think what you need to do is to spend more time listening to different styles of music and to other bass players. If you learn a bunch of riffs, that's all you're going to have. If you take the time to listen to people like Paul McCartney and James Jamerson, your ear will be better trained to come up with better basslines. I highly recommend the James Jamerson biography Standing in the Shadows of Motown. It has some great recorded examples. Good luck.

Will C.:cool: