Rifle Cases for the Removable Neck

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Matt Weiner, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I posted this inside an RN case thread, but I'm starting a new thread with it too.

I'm currently having my CaseXtreme "Style C" case modified into a body only case, and then I'm gonna get a rifle case for the neck.

What specific rifle cases are people using for their removable necks? Any horror stories? Love stories?

The price range is vast, and I'm not sure what is good enough to send on an airplane.

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Inactive

Nov 20, 2000
    Harrison Mills
    Pelican would be the first ones I'd look at. No experience using them for a bass neck but I've flown a lot with other gear in various models and have never regretted spending the money they cost.

Matt Weiner likes this.
  3. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks @Jeff Bonny

Those are nice cases. I'm thinking they are a little heavy though.

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Inactive

Nov 20, 2000
    Harrison Mills
    They're very reliable but probably a little over built for your needs. Interested to see what you come up with.

5. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Bumping this thread because I went to Big 5 and the cheap cases seemed pretty flimsy...

6. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    I bought an injection molded shotgun case on sale for $10 at a gun store.

I use it to carry multiple bass bows, including those not fully carved yet and too fat for a bow case.

Strong, light, cheap.

If you do a search, you'll find stuff like this:

Plano Molding | 108361 All Weatherâ„¢ Rifle/Shotgun Case - All Weatherâ„¢ Gun Cases - Hard Gun Cases - Hunting

Interior dimensions would easily fit the neck I'm carving. Goes for about $70. There's plenty similar.

Probably always a mistake to tread in hot button political territory, but I've never owned a gun and hope to make it through the rest of my life without feeling the need for one. It kind of tickles me though: all the old gangster movies had the bad boys pulling tommy guns from their violin cases...I stroll in with my shotgun case and pull out bass bows. Gotta love it.

BTW Mine's not Plano but I have tackle cases of theirs I use as lightweight tool boxes. When the front door/panel cracked (my fault), I called about buying a replacement...they sent a replacement, no charge, no questions asked except "what model?" Good folks to deal with.

Matt Weiner likes this.
  7. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I use a Pelican; 'good enough for a military deployment. They are a little more spendy than the cheap models, but I got mine new online for about $175. You'll feel bad about the price on day one and love it the rest of the year; with the cheap model you'll love it on day one and then live in fear of your neck breaking the rest of the year. 'Pretty cool to feel confident that I can almost drive a car over it. The black and white movie gangster feeling fades immediately when you show up at the airport and see how much negative attention it brings to you. Buy it in a fun color and it seems far easier for people to adjust to than Darth Vader's black assault weapon case.....

1750 Protector - Rifle Cases | Long Case | Pelican Products, Inc.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Jeff Bonny and Matt Weiner like this.
  8. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    I should have been more specific...the gangster thing is definitely past tense. It sits in the closet most of the the time nowadays for exactly the reason you state.

Matt Weiner likes this.
  9. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA

Thanks James, how much does it weigh with a neck in it?

10. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Also, @james condino , what are your experiences flying with this case? What do you use for the body of the bass? How do you attach it?

Sorry to ask so many questions. Thanks for your help

11. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    My experience with the pelican cases is moderate for commercial airlines and approximately 2600 hours of flying being deployed with the military and approximately 7000 miles as a commercial whitewater river guide. To say I have confidence in them is a gross understatement.....

They invented the telephone so you can ask all those questions in five minutes and people who work for a living can answer them....

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

Matt Weiner likes this.
  12. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks, James.

13. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

Dec 7, 2007