1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig change question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Interceptor, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    My gig rig needs have changed radically. For the last few years, my requirements were a four string bass at small to mid size venue levels in a pop to country context.

That work is now 100% covered by PA.

I've also been working side gigs. I play with a couple of guys in a jazz trio and I do some big band work and also church work where I've got a grand piano to compete with. I play a five string fretless 100% of the time in all of this. A Barker B1.

My rig is a Thunderfunk TFB420 and a pair of Epifani T112 cabinets. The love is gone. It isn't working with the fretless, the upper mids are not there. I'm at the point where I'm very happy straight into PA, but that isn't going to happen on my side jobs.

So. If you were in my boat, and (within reason) cost was no object; what pairing ought I consider and why?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if you're happy with the sound of your bass in the pa, get a cab that's built to sound more like a pa cab optimized for bass. a fearful 15/6, an audiokinesis, an lds, a bill fitzmaurice, one of those new genz benz 12/mid cabs, something in that vein.

3. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Avalon U5 (awesome for fretless)
    Class D poweramp (lightweight)
    3 way PA cabinet, like a fEarful 15-6 (light, transparent).

A very portable, Hifi PA for Bass.