1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig Choice for Small Acoustic Gig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ReverseFender94, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Okay, so my band got asked to play an acoustic set ( acoustic guitar, bass, vocals, unsure if there's a PA) in an "organic furniture store" :eyebrow: (not sure what to expect lol) and I'm not sure which amp will cut it, and I'd rather not bring total overkill. My Hartke 3500 into a 2x10 seems a little overkill, but my next smallest amp is the tiny 1x10 Fender Frontman combo I use for practice in my dorm. Part of me is afraid that's too small. I've never seen this "venue", and I'm not really sure how big the room or crowd will be. What would you do in this situation?

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Your rig is ideal. A 2x10" is a perfect small gig setup.

3. Thanks for the response. I think you're right, I guess it's better to have more than you need to be heard than not enough at all.

4. I say take the 2x10. I've done lots of gigs like that (w/ the PA for the singer/gtr player) I used a MB minimark, and later a LMII w/ a 112. You can always turn a loud amp down. If you reach the top of the fender you got nowhere to go. Not like you're dragging an 8x10 in there :D besides I can't imagine a 2x10 being overkill for anything . . .

5. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    you can always turn down. but if your 110 gets maxed yer kinda up the creek.

6. Good point. An 8x10 (well, 2 4x10s) is my normal gigging rig, and that'd be waaaay too much lol

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Carry both in the car and suss ?

I generally use an mb200 in a 1 x 10 combo, plus an additional 1 x 10. That second cab is as much to get the top cab closer up to me as it is for the volume as the whole thing is usually loafing. I'm in the PA all the time though...