Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig compliment (breaking my arm to pat myself on the back.)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Last night we invited a fellow bass player to bring his bass and sit in with us. He was there through a set before playing. He came up and said "what kind of outfit is that?" " I love it!" I was using my SABDDI pushed by an ART Levelar into an old Sonetic (QSC) amp with an Avatar 212. I broke down what it costs for my rig:

SABDDI-135.00
    ART-40.00
    Sonetic Amp (850 watts)-160.00
    Avatar 212-342.00 (shipped, I think.)

He says "you lie!" After he got through, he told me that he could hear different aspects of his bass he could'nt get with his Super Readhead and extension cabinet. I thinking "yeah, right," but later he asked me if I could help him locate pieces like mine.

In this configuration, the ART does not provide enough boost to get all the good out of one side of the amp, but it is workable. It is nice to know your stuff doesn't totally suck.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    listening with your ears is soooooooo much cooler than listening with your eyes, or by brand names, or by specs.
    glad you are happy with the rig.

3. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i love my levelar. it stays in my rack. i'm sure the compression police will chime in soon but i love that litte box.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I would really like to get an RBI so I wouldn't have to use the ART ( some mid control would be nice as well.)

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Compression police, LOL

Amen. And let me add this: in the 90's I wasn't playing much I got by just fine with a mutt rig built from various components all bought used for fairly cheap. When I switched to 5-string I wanted a little more low end so I upgraded to boutique components. Now, most of the musicians I know don't recognize my gear. Even bass players say "Berga-what??" Most ironic: a guitarist friend thought my Lull P5 was a Peavey.

So, high end stuff gets you the love here @TB, but at jams and gigs I got more respect from using the usual brands like Ampeg and SWR!