1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig Dilemma - HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Oct 12, 2006.

What do you think?

Poll closed Nov 11, 2006.
  1. Option 1?

56.5%
  2. Option 2?

8.7%
  3. Figure it out for yourself, dummy! (ie, carrots)

34.8%
  1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    First, let me define what I HAVE...

Ashdown RPM-1 Preamp --->>> Crown XLS 402 (1140w @ 4ohms bridged mono) --->>> Aguilar GS112 + Aguilar GS112NT + a Korg DTR1000 & a furman power conditioner.

I like the preamp, I got a great deal on the power amp, & I love the portability of the cabs. What I DONT like, is my amp rack weighs almost as much as a 410... 65pounds. SOOOOO, I find myself in typical OCD fashion, I'm continuously rethinking what I could do to rectify this... I'm not really married to any single piece of my rig, so I'm willing to rethink my whole approach... bottom line, I want lighter, hopefully better sounding, for the best value! I drive a small car, so the thought of a single big cab, just isnt gonna fly...

Option 1) Replace rack w/ light weight head - maybe something like a GK1001rb2, an iAmp500, an Ag500sc... This option means it would HAVE to work well with an Aguilar GS112 stack. So, please provide your suggestion to fill this role.

Option 2) Dump the rack & use the pre + a powered cab solution - what comes to mind, is a Berg IP 12 stack. I'm not sure what these cost. Would it be cost prohibitive, compared to a light weight head?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm trying to figure out why your rack weighs so much... the RPM-1 should weigh about 13-14lbs, the xls402 weighs about 27lbs, and the korg and furman can't weigh more than 15lbs together... Add a rack that weighs at least 10lbs, and you hit that 65lb+ mark. Maybe you could get a lighter power amp. Something from stewart audio or the QSC PLX2 line could save you 20lbs. You could ditch the rack tuner in favor of a small hand held one, and get a smaller rack. Also, that ashdown pre is heavier than most.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    rack = 17.30 lbs
    furman = 6.00 lbs
    tuner = 3.09 lbs
    preamp = 13.30 lbs
    poweamp = 25.30 lbs
    Total = 64.99 lbs

I've gone thru the exercise of trimming down the rack, & swapping out the Crown 402 for a Stewart 1.2... that saved me 25 lbs,,, but will cost me roughly $740... basically, the price of a GK1001rb2. AND, it will still weigh 20pounds MORE.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think your best bet then would be to go with a head. I think pre/power setups are nice, but are over rated here on tb. I recently made this same decision, and cut down my quest II and crown xls602 pre/power setup to a UL502. I think it was a great choice!

BTW, I meant to vote for option 1, but for some reason chose option 2, so disregard.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i think it would be best to get rid of the Preamp and Poweramp and get the Aguilar AG500 or Iamp. the pre and power combined weigh combined 38.6 lbs. the Aggie weighs 15 lbs. this would shave off 23 pounds and cut your rack down to 42 lbs.

6. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I have not tried the aguilar500 or the iamp 500.. I have used a crown amps , still own one and there is nothing that beats that as far as sound.. IMO... I am going through the same delema for my smaller gigs... I have the Aguilar GS112 cabs too.. 1 to 4 cabs depending on gig... and all my heads are heavy the SVT2, the Carvin b1500 or rack with Crown or Carvin with alembic pre.. wich weighs about 55 to 60 pounds...

I am seriously considering the Iamp800 or the Thunderfunk as my head of choice since they are both light enough..
    TO me they both have their strengths.. The TF has the sound i am going for but CAN NOT do 2 ohms... but only the Iamp can do 2 ohms to run all four cabs if i want.
    If i only were running 2 GS112 cabs like you i would just get the Thunderfunk and call it day... I think it is only 15 pounds in 2 spaces...
    for me i guess it is the Mid Life Crisis of bass rigs

7. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    iAmp800 all the way. it delivers at all levels (loud or soft) and it can go down to 2Ω.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    i know its really preliminary, but i'm surprized noone's pimped the Berg IP112 mini-stacks....

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think the main reason is that they are so expensive....

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I havent checked into it, but Ag500's are $1200 new from MF... UL502's are around 1500... I think iAMP 800's are in that range too...

Is a Berg IP112 + 112 significantly more than that?

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

That'd be my first choice, but I know I can't afford one!

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I can't either,,, today... But, i'm thinking long term...

13. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I voted "Figure it out yourself" because I'm not quite sure what sound you're looking for and such. I'd say try out both options and decide what you like better. Or keep your current head, but still get a new head. And then when you get some more money, get the pre and power amp. Then you've got a bunch of options :D

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    if you look on the TB classifieds ive seen a couple of Aggie Ag500's up for sale. Check eBay too.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Friday the 13th bump...

BTW, I think its pretty much common practice for folks to just throw a column for carrots on thier polls. I never would've imagined that a third of the voters would've selected carrots... :eek:

As for my tone, I did say liked the Ashdown preamp I'm using, so that means warm & gritty. I play finger style for a cover band, that plays stuff ranging from Evanescence to Goo Goo Dolls.

16. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I voted get a head. I like the iAmp 800. I also like the ThunderFunk head. Only weighs 15 lbs and it is plenty powerful, seemingly more than the specs indicate. The GK 1001RB-II is hard to beat also. 18 lbs, 700 watts, and can be bought new for $600. Also, if you like your preamp that much look at a lighter power amp. The Stewart 1.2 on weighs about 11 lbs and the Acoustic Image Focus SA puts out 800 watts and weighs 3.5 lbs!!

17. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    How much are the Ashdown heads in your neck of the woods?

An ABM900 does 2x575W and while it isnt light, its a lot lighter than your rack. Just an idea.

18. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have a killer little setup that's about 40 lbs that is truly amazing.

SKB rack = 11 ish lbs
    Furman = 6 lbs
    Korg DTR-1000 tuner = 3 lbs
    Yamaha BBT500H = 11 lbs
    Stewart World poweramp = 11 lbs
    Total = 42 lbs

As most of you know, the Yamaha is a truly an amazing amp that can mimic almost any rig (SVT, Bassman, GK, Trace , etc). It also has the very best compressor I've ever used that came built into a head.

The Stewart pumps out 1200 watts bridged into 4 ohms which is plenty for most situations. Heck, the Yamaha built in amp can get me through 75% of my gigs, but the Stewart is always there if I need it and also serves as a great backup to our PA amps if one of them goes. The other cool part is that you could use the Stewart to power the main cabs behind you and use the Yamaha to power a bass monitor in front of you and each would have their own volume controls. It really is by far the most versatile rig I've owned to date and it's realativily light and easy to transport too.

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Get a head. The rack/pre/power thing is nice, but often unnecessary. I have an Eden WT-550 head, about 20 pounds. Not super-light, not really heavy, plenty of power and eq, a nice compromise. My cab (will be) an Eden 210XST.

20. Go with a head. Ashdown ABM500 or Ashdown MK500 (since you already like the Ashdown preamp sound) or Aguilar AG500 or Eden WT-550..... All of them should work just fine with the Aggies. I my self got the Aggies and a MK500. (And yeah i had a heavy rack too)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021