Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig dilemma - help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Knack, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Knack

Knack

Mar 25, 2002
    New York City
    OK, I've been pining over the new purchase for months now. I need something to power 2 4-ohm cabs (115 & 210) and want to bi-amp. Here are my current options:

1) New Peavey Max preamp (tube+ss w/built-in crossover)
    Used QSC PLX 1601 power amp
    SKB 3-space rack

2) The same as above but with the cheaper SKB 4-space roto rack (they don't make it in 3-space), plus ETA Power Conditioner

3) Used Eden WT-800

What would you recommend?

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    It would be a toss-up for me.
    It's between #2 and #3.

I'd pick #2 over #1.
    You'll like that extra rack space for air circulation anyway. A power conditioner is useful.

I think you're getting 500 watts per channel a 4ohms with the 1601 (that's the spec on the 1602).

The WT-800 looks like it gives 400watts per side with 2x4ohm loads.

The Eden is 26 lbs. The other rig will be substantially heavier since the PLX is 21lbs, plus rack, pre, conditioner. You're talking 40-45lbs with option #2.

I personnaly like having the ability to change my pre-amp or amp. In this case, price and condition may be the question. The Eden goes for like $1,950 new.

Price being the same, it just comes down to how it sounds to you. Can you try them?

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

Wise words but instead of eden check out a used SWR!!! kidding. test drive whatever you get and enjoy layin the funk. also what kinda (brand) cabs you usin?