1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig disapointment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Dec 17, 2006.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Eden Nav w/ Crown 402 powering a Schro 1210 and Ampig 410didn't get loud enough to get it done on the last gig. I am upset, I thought I had a decent rig, enough power and speaker surface. It was a medium sze hall with about 200 people. I had to go DI to the board. When I did that the signal was spiking the input so I had to turn down my gain to about 12 oclock which made my rig VERY quiet on stage. ***! It's one of those things I guess. SO what's my options? Get more power? 450 watts per side is not enough juice? What about the DI signal being too hot? My DI knob was on 0? Weird, I am so bummed.

2. Both of the cabs you are using are fairly mid oriented, and if you are killing the mids then you are probabally not using the cabs to their full potential, so try maybe boosting mids or keeping it flat if you are scooping the eq. Try checking everything to make sure its working properly. Cables, bass, preamp, power amp, etc. That rig really should be plenty.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Something is not right. I would also recommend looking at your EQ. That setup should be good enough for all but the most stupidly loud gigs.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I believe the Crown 402 is 400 watts a side into 4 ohms. Also, if your cabs are 8-ohm, you're getting only 260 watts a side. I agree, though, that something is wrong. We need more data. What are your settings on the power amp?

5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    +1

The other things....
    Is your DI line level or mic level?
    Does your amp have a DI PAD switch/setting?
    Are you SURE the DI out of the amp matched the board?
    Was the board's PAD on full cut but still "spiking"?

It really sounds like you were dumping a line level into a mic level somehow...IMO.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    The Eq was boosted in the mids and lows and a little on the highs, enhance was turned off. I had the compressor turned on, that's about it. The thing can get loud, but it wasn't loud enough! I use 4 ohm cabs ran in stereo. Setting on the amp are about 10'o'clock, anymore the amp clips.

On the DI issue I will have to check my Nav to see for sure but I have three DI outputs. Recording DI out, or left or right DI out. I had it on one of the line outs. MAYBE he did not have the dampining pad pushed in on the board!

7. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    If you were using one of your active basses, how was the EQ setup on that?

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Fender Jazz Passive

9. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    What kind of DI were you using? If your using a DI box the signal from a passive bass should not be redlining. If the amp has a built in Direct out it should have a pre or post out or intinuator. That rig sould have plenty of power for stage volume, somethings not right.

10. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    The DI has a level control on the front panel so you should be able to adjust the signal going to the board independantly from the signal going to your power amp. I use the DI on my nav at every gig and never have a problem.

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    DI from the eden Nav was being used

Something isn't right!

Aside from the DI clipping the board I should have PLENTY of power. The amp clips a lot when I have the power on both channels past 10 oclock, maybe I need a bigger amp?

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    It was on 0! And still spiking the board.

13. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yeah...When I had my 1210 I used it in halls that large without PA assistance. You should be able to kill that place if you're running a 4x10 also.

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    It seems like you could use a little more power. You might want to run the amp in bridged mono mode to have more total power going to the speakers. Assuming each cab is 8 ohm

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For the DI to the board, you should be using the "recording DI out" on the back of the Nav, then set the "DI Level" knob on the front panel to match the signal required by the board. I usually set mine around 11:00.

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten

Ok, I was using the other DI output not the recording DI output. At least this is solved! Thanks

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I have 4 ohm cabs

18. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    2 4 Ohm cabs? =2 ohms. Not enough power going from the Crown to the cabs, maybe? Can't be bridged at 2 ohms. Try running one of the cabs bridged. How loud is your band?

19. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    No way. I used to run one channel out of a Carvin DCM1000 due lack of proper bridging cable.

You can hear my band in my sig, we're not soft. (new songs are up, I recommend checking it out).

20. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Yeah I think I need more power. I don't think you can bridge that crown at 2 ohms. Eithier I bridge the amp and get another cab (4 or 8 ohm), or I invest in a different power amp?? The band is as loud as we need to be for the room, not too loud.