1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig family pics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Sep 15, 2008.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Since I posted my family of basses I figured I'd post my amp stuff as well. The Mesa gear is on loan, so I can't take all the credit.

I usually use the mini stack with either the LMII or the F1, but the whappo just doesn't shine with either of those heads really. The Carbine on the other hand.... :eek: It looks like the F1 might be on its way out, I can't justify keeping them both, and the LMII just has some kind of magic that makes me unable to stop smiling when I play through it!

The tube head and the rack preamp are made by a hifi audio geek friend of mine (he'd appreciate that description!). The preamp is just vol/treble/bass with a single 6SL7 tube. Awesome sounding, really warm with tons of dynamics. The tube head is that same pre with a 50 watt tube power section. It flat out kills, but isn't loud enough for most gigs.

rigpic.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Jake, what are your thoughts on the Carbine now that you've had some time with it? Do you see yourself owning one?

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Okay, here are mine.

100_0904.

100_0852.

I also keep a Peavey Basic 40 combo amp and my Peavey T-40 over at my daughter's house. I sometimes go over and let her dog out while she's working. That way, when the urge hits, I have something to jam on. :)

4. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Hi Andy- I really like the carbine. It really nails exactly what I was looking for, which is clean punchy and loud with a more traditional sounding power section. There is just enough coloration to help some of my more neutral sounding gear (fbass and accugroove) shine and deliver the goods in a mix. To be fair I haven't fully put it through its paces, but so far I'm really liking most everything about it. Some of the recent reviews describe the carbine as bright and aggressive and I would agree with that. Luckily for me, thats kind of what I was looking for. Something to bring out the nuances and have a more forward sound.

I wish there was a multifunction footswitch with a mute and 1 or more mid presets but oh well. Honestly, I have heard mixed reviews from owners/endorsers of mesa gear as to the quality, but I gotta say, the head and the cab are built like friggin tanks. Very impressive build quality.

So I guess I'll be unloading my F1...... Anyone wanna buy it?

5. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Nice, is that a Q10XD or a Q10BXD? I love those cabs, just wish they were lighter. Always wanted a Q10BXD and a S18BD.....

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sounds like a great amp.....did you like the 212 as well?

7. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I haven't used it much yet. It sounds pretty good to my ears, has that 212 mid thing happening, definitely well built. Its pretty beefy in stature, but remarkably light with the neos and the lightweight plywood. I'm hoping to gig with both pieces this weekend.

How is your great tone quest going Andy? :D

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    You're not helping. ;)

Actually, I've got a new bass on the way for February...I'm very excited about this one. It's something I've been thinking about for a couple of years now. As for amps...I'd love a bigger amp and speaker for the louder gigs....but I just don't do enough of them to justify it. I'm happy for the most part...

9. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    my markbass rig will look like that (except i have the 2x10 separate) once i get a traveler 15!!! how do you like it? i think its ridiculous

10. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I think its great, I love the markbass heads! Still want to test drive a classic 300, SD800, TA503 and the rest.

11. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    i think they should make a TA800... or something like that lol

12. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Man, that Carbine w/ the 210 is killer! I played the same set-up at a local store (+ a 115) and it was awesome. It made me believe in Mesa bass amps.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    bassrig66.

TorinandEpifani_ShuttleRig.

Lm_1212PBassRig.

Some duplicates, but these are the only pics where I can show everything.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Hey Wolfbass. It's the Q10BXD. I've had it about 9 years now. Awesome cab with great, clean sound. I remember when I bought it, the guy was telling me how clean that cab is. "If you screw up, everybody will know it!"

But like you say, she's heavy (96 friggin' pounds!). That's the main reason I got the Markbass stuff. I normally leave my heavy rack system where we practice; and lately I've been using the MB stuff for gigging. SOOO much easier to transport. But both "rigs" sound great.

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Initially, I just got the combo amp (CMD 102P), which is awesome even by itself. But I wanted to add a 115. I went with the Traveler because of it's light weight. I've been very happy with the combination. It maximizes the amps power; and adding that 15 to the 2 10's is always a benefit. It hasn't yet withstood the test of time like my rack system; but no problems so far. And I'm not worn out by the time I do the load-in! :D

16. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Cough, giggle, smirk, smile, chuckle.... all meant in a positive sense. Personally, in use, and in photographic moments on TB, I have not seen one M6 Carbine/Fathom head or combo that has its Master volume past 9:00.

Interesting eh?

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR