Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig Finished = F-1X, QSC, Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRBrown, Oct 20, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Finished piecing my rig together today:

- Furman pwr
    - Alembic F-1X
    - QSC PLX 1202
    - Aguilar 1x12 (x2)

- Stereo mode: Full range to top cab, low pass (150Hz) to bottom cab.

- Sounds GRANDLY

:)

[​IMG]

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Interesting. Nice rig, just one question. With identical cabs, why run them biamped?

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
  4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  5. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    It may be worth experimenting a little. I use a GS212 and a GS112 powered by a PLX2402. I bridge my amp mono and am somewhat careful with my power but the sound really opens up. Give it a try you may like it.

Lex

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    You wouldn't. For live playing, I'd bridge the amp (1200w) and parallel the speakers for 4 ohms and kick butt!
    I've bridged three different amps with these speakers...very powerful.

But I don't play live. :( :) Besides messing around with my kids (son on drums, daughter on trumpet) I solo in my own world where sound quality is very critical.

Try my setup for your solo listening pleasure...I think you'll like it.

7. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    where can you get such nice carpeted rack cases ?:)
    great rig btw :)

8. That looks like a great rig! I'm thinking about putting together a rig with two Aguilar GS112s soon. I haven't decided which head would be best, but I've e-mailed Gard.;)

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Too late... I no longer have the Aggie. For at home use I use either an Ampeg B100-R combo or a Hughes & Kettner BassBase 600 through a Bag End D10BX-D 210 coax. Both sound great. Live it's usually a Nahas rig.

Anyway... congrats on the rig.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

FWIW, my understanding has been that biamping reduces artifacts and increases efficiency even with identical cabs: better for one to reproduce just bass and the other to take care of mids/highs, instead of both trying to reproduce everything. That's the theory. In practice: when A/B-ing I've preferred full range, but maybe that's because I like the various "imperfections" in tone that occur when cabs are run full range (shrug). It's all a YMMV.

11. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    J.R. are you at Seymour Johnson AFB?

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Understood. I get the theory. It might "clean up" the sound at low volume. In JR's case, for home use it's an option. OTOH IME I've always ended up with "less" when trying this with identical cabs live. I didn't notice any more interference of sound with the low pass cab than the identical one run full range. For me biamping has only made sense when I'm using a dedicated low frequency driver and I wouldn't even bother with that anymore.

I didn't notice any additional muddying at gig levels, just a sound that was louder, more full and just plain bigger, where a single cab was completely inadequate.

13. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I'm not fully bi-amped. The top cab gets a full range sound while the low-pass bottom cab strengthens/reinforces the low end. Having two identical cabs gives me the option of bridging at will. It wasn't my intention to run them in stereo mode, but IMO it sounds better. The difference is slight, but real.

Need one? I'm going to post one for sale tonight.

YES!

14. Wow, that rig must kill. Maybe one of these days I will be able to put my rig on here, with a sweet bass on the side.

Sweet rig though.:bassist:

15. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I work for the ANG in Milwaukee, WI. You guys had some of your KC-135's park here for storage during the hurricane several weeks ago. Small world!