Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig for 1500-2000 (canadian)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Circus, Sep 30, 2003.

1. thats about 1000-1250 american. I don't care if its a head or rack, and I will go try it out b4 I buy of course. This is for the head or rack, and a cab. I am not playing anything huge, mostly bars, and outdoor shows.

2. I would go and try out everything at Mother's, Axe and Avenue Guitars in Edmonton. For $1500 - $2000 CDN, you have quite a few options. You could probably pick up one of the lower power Eden heads and a one of the 2x10 Eden cabs. The Mesa 360 walkabout and one of the 2x10s might also be available. A SWR Bass 350X and a Goliath JR. 2x10 might be in your price range too. Those are probably what I would go with for the money.

By the way, I live in Spruce Grove for 7 years when I was growing up.

Geoff

3. Yeah, I've checked out Mothers and Long and Mcquaide (going to grant macewan). Going to check out the tons of stores on whyte ave on thursday. Thats cool, when did u move? Thnx for the advice

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    who are you Circus? You wouldn't happen to be nick would you? I'm Geoff and I'm also in your program. (Trombone and Bass)

5. No I am just a general arts student for now, hopefully I will get off my lazy a$$ and get into that program next year, hafta take general music studies for now, hey, its a breeze though. My real name is kirk btw. But back to amps for me :). Sorry about the personal convo everyone else :bassist:

6. I moved from Spruce Grove in 1991, quite awhile ago.

Anyway, Mother's is a good store. I bought my F Bass BN6 there and I have found their prices to be great and they are good about letting people try out gear. I am not familiar with too many other stores on Whyte other than Avenue and I guess that Gordon Price as well. I think Avenue had some GK stuff there when I was last there, and they usually have SWR as well.

Geoff

7. You may want to go to AXE in Edmonton and check out their stock as well, they had a decent selection of SWR and Hartke gear the last time I was there, and their prices are usually pretty good.
    You could probably pick up a Hartke 3500 and a 410XL cabinet for around $1800 or so, which isn't a bad price for a 350 watt head with a 4x10" cab.
    You didn't say what kind of stuff you're playing, but I'd assume that it's mostly modern rock/classic rock if you're playing in bars, so you may want to be careful what you do if you go with a 2x10" cab. I have seen too many players blow up a 2x10" trying to get too much volume out of a small cab in a fairly loud rock gig situation. This has as much to do with how you set your EQ as anything, most 2x10" enclosures have only so much to give, and pushing them beyond their limits is a recipe for disaster.
    A classic example of this is the Super Redhead combo, when I was managing the guitar dept. at AXE Edmonton, I saw 3 of these combos come back with blown drivers because the players were trying to get more out of them than what they could give. It's a great sounding amp, but if you're using it in a loud rock gig, you should piggyback it with at least an additional 2x10" box for better coverage and more volume.
    More often than not, you simply CANNOT fill a loud stage ( 2 guitars and a loud drummer ) in a rock gig with a 2x10" enclosure, or so has been my experience.

More speakers = more air moving = more volume

Good luck with whatever you decide on !

8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    GK stuff sounds great and is incredibly loud for the money. A 700rb or a 1001rb, especially the newer ones, will rival a lot of amps that you might pay way more for. Throw a 410 on it, and you should be in buisness.