Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig for $2600 or less

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CamMcIntyre, Sep 30, 2000.

1. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok heres my situation by summer i will be able to afford roughly $2600 for a rig any ideas or suggestions? I've got a rough idea of what i want but not sure if it is good or not heres what i'm thinking. I play hard rock-pop-classical so i need something fairly versitile.

SWR Bass 750 head
    SWR Goliath 3
    SWR Big Bertha or Big Ben,

SWR Mo'Bass
    Ampeg 8X10 or 4X10
    SWR Son of Bertha, yet a third idea

SWR Mo'Bass
    SWR Megalioth
    this one i'm least inclined to since i'm not a weight lifter & probably couldn't haul it even if i could. any suggestions ideas would be appreciated.

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Which sounds the best to you? SWR products are all pretty solid according to many people, myself included, but you have to like the sound. Go to a music store, flash the cash and they will let you try all those combinations.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden WT-800 head
    Eden D-410XLT cab
    Eden D-118XLT cab

or

Eden WT-800 head
    Eden D-410XLT cab
    Eden D-410XLT cab

or

Eden WT-800 head
    Eden D-210XLT cab
    Eden D-215XLT cab

4. I would suggest that you try different amps other than SWR to see what you really like.
    That kind of money will buy you an really nice rig.

Good luck - John

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Heres the thing, i'm going straight from my little practice amp to rig suitable for small-medium gigs thats still has the ability to get bigger to play out doors where the sound gets sucked away. Munjibunga i thought Eden gear all cost a ton like 1400 per cab regardless of size. well that's all thanx for the ideas

6. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    In my humble view, and at the ripe old age of going on 52, my priorities are no longer "bang for the buck" when it comes to amplification. It's "bang for the weight."

You can get an EA210 or swr Goliath III jr + an EA 208 on top of it and be pa--lenty loud with exceptional tone so long as you buy an amp with 800-1000+ watts to push it. I use a Sunn 1200S. I've seem them used on e-bay. This stuff will cost you less than 2 grand if you get the Swr 210. You could get two 210's or an SWR or Eden 4 10 and the EA 208 and the sunn for under 2300.

If yo thang doesn't mind shlepping around a lotta heavy stuff, I'd still recommend the Sunn 1200 S as it has everything self contained, up to 1200 watts at two ohms, high and low compression, 9 or 10 band eq, and some other useful things in a relatively carryable package and probably in the mid hi eight hundreds to nine, nine 1/2. You could push a couple ACME's, Epifani's or anything else you want with around $1750+ bucks to play with. There's enough versatility with this head to get whatever tone you want to the cabinets. Then it's just a question of what your ears, back, and wallet want.

LKaye

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    You shouldn't pay more than about 65% of list for Eden equipment, FJC.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    My priorities are that i need something that can be used in @ the largest a school auditorium or football field & that won't break the bank or my back in the process, if the thing weighs enough that i can't lift it on my own i'll end up getting one of those dolly things so that i can actually move it. My style of playing is 95% finger style with a fairly hard touch, the last 5% is hard picking [1.0-3.0 picks] & me trying to slap. that's my priorities & style. Larry Kaye the Sunn1200s i'm gonna look into that much power for that little [$800-975] is something i gotta see. thanx for the ideas.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'd just think that if you were going to unload $2600, you'd want to buy a professional rig. I've seen a lot of SWR and Eden on stage, never a Sunn. Power isn't the only thing you're paying for. Quality and reliability are equally or more important to someone who has to rely on his equipment. You were closer with the SWR. (Although the Mo' Bass ain't the right one.)

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Munjibunga any suggestions on which SWR head would be a good one? SM900 with interstellar? i'd like to know which one you recommend. I've got the SWR catalog @ my dads so next time i go there i'm gonna be able to look more into the respective units. thats all

11. Personally, I think a used Eden Navigator for $400 or a used Kern IP-777 for $550 plus a QSC PLX-series power amp would be an excellent way to go. ;-)

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Heres a cab combination that seems like a good deal

Eden D-410XLT for $800 [700watts 8ohms]
    Eden D-115XLT for $423 [400watts 8ohms]
    for a total of $1223+head anyone know of a head that would work well with this?

13. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    Kern or Demeter pre-amp
    QSC PLX power amp
    Acme B4 4x10
    Acme B2 2x10

This way, you could use just the 4x10 or the 2x10, but if you needed more sound you could take 'em both. You could get this for less than the amount you're looking to spend.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hey FJC -

Perfect. Now just add in the WT-800 (probably another $1300) and you're right in there at about $2600. Do I get duty genius?

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Mr.t do you have the link to Kern or Acme so that i can see what your talking about? munjibunga you'll get a thanks for the idea, it is definately one i'm gonna consider.

16. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    FJC, i don't know if kern has a website, but you can see a pic and some specs at http://www.bassnw.com. to read up on the acmes, go to http://www.acmebass.com. i'd suggest giving andy lewis a call--he's nice and can tell you not only about his cabinet (which i do think is the best out there--don't be fooled by the price) but is also very knowledgeable about whatever else is out there. good luck.

17. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Again, in the bang for the buck category, the Sunn is excellent. I realize that it doesn't necessarily possess all the exceptional componentry that a Kern preamp would as an example, but the Kern costs in and of itself almost as much without compression or a power amp.

As far as reliability, I've owned the amp now for a year and a half and have had zero reliability problems. As for not seeing them on stage, you don't see a lot of the other ones either. Eden and SWR don't have a lock on bass amps that are used out. The Sunn sounds better in my opinion for my style, band, speakers, and technique. I have to do much much less eq'ing with the Sunn that with the SWR's and Edens I've owned in the past and the Sunn has a ton more sheer volume available at literally any ohmage. (I also own an Aguilar 359 which is in the same price league as the high end edens and SWR's. Money wasn't an issue when I bought the sunn. It was the unreliability of a Galien Krueger RB2000 and the tone tweaking I constantly had to do to make it sound how I wanted it.

I always feel good about finding something that even though it's not the most expensive or popular thing out there, it sounds good to me. I own a Reverend Rumblefish 5 as an example. Being open minded to the adage that there are some pieces of bass equipment that are a value, including some used pieces, can really benefit you in the long haul. It's just icing on the cake to me that the Sunn sounds great and has a tremendous amount of headroom and is as inexpensive as it is.

Check out the EA, Fafner and Epifani strings if you haven't yet decided about other cabinet choices, but I'd certainly look into the Sunn as an alternative that others probably just haven't looked into.

LKaye

18. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    I also should say that after researching further, the total for this rig, new, would be about $2500. (that's for the plx 1602, kern pre, b2 and b4) so...not that much less than $2600, but hey, this is the best rig i can think of. period.

19. I have a Kern IP-777 and a pair of Acme Low B2-II (4 ohm) for sale, see the "for sale listings" on this board. I actually have a PLX-1602 too, but it's not for sale.

20. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Munjibunga is on the money with this one. I think the Eden WT-800 with a D410XLT and D115XLT would be the finest rig you can buy for that money.Hey... nothing wrong with the SWR stuff but I think the Eden is superior.But that's from my ears.