1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rig for a 3 Piece band

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jarnett, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    I wanna know what people use with their 3 piece band. Please let me know if you have any effects that you find useful, other than Octave, or the Fission Bass. Let me know what you use!

This is what I have going, it may change a bit eventually.

Ampeg 810
    Hartke HA5500
    Dbx Compressor
    BBE Sonic Max
    Sansamp BDDI Deluxe
    Rat Clone

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds good to me. I sub out the Hartke for an SVT and don't use a comp or BBE, but I do like the heavier Rat types of distortion in a 3 pc. Don't get to do it too often anymore, though. Last time was a year ago.

3. I run A Line6 rack mount Pre amp/effect unit(Bass pod?)-BBE882-QSC1450-GK4x12 NEO(soon to be replaced by fEARful 1515/66 once completed)

4. in my 3 piece band

SABDI, cheap chorus, bassballs>GB neopak>2 x Bagend S15D

We are not super loud - lead player has a 50 watt tube 2x12 combo & our drummer has an awesome sense of dynamics.

5. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Looks good to me - but I personally wouldn't use the dbx, bbe, or the sansamp. I'd just run bass-head-cab. Even though I prefer to mic a cab for FOH, often times I'll just use the XLR out on whatever head I'm using. I'm not a big fan of Hartke cabs, but I think their heads are good and I've had no problem dialing in a good tone with them through Ampeg cabs.

6. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    Occasional tech 21 (bddi or VT) or distortion if the amp doesn't have some sort in it.... aphex aural exciter if small venue....thats it for me

7. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    My guitarist wants me to double up the power and speakers, I have 2 HA5500's and 2 810's lol. I find it unnecessary, but it might just make it really thick.

8. GK 700RB-II
    Ampeg 410
    DBX Compressor
    DOD Envelope Filter
    and a Danolectro Chorus

9. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    An amp like that and an 8x10 are plenty for at least anything up to the guitarist using a half stack (or maybe a 50 watt full stack). So unless the other guy is using way more than that, or unless he wants to cart that stuff around himself, I'd say stick to the one cab and 1 amp.

If you have the modern 8x10 that can be split into 2 4x10s, you could try 2 amps and maybe add a stereo phaser or something if you want some really huge sounds. You could put it after the send of one amp and into the return of both so you'd basically be slaving the one amp to the other.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I don't use effects all that much. What I have is as follows:

Carvin Digital Echo
    Boss OC3 Octaver
    Boss SYB3 Synth - never used
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah - never used
    Akai Deep Impact synth - reason why the other two are never used
    Yamaha NE1 Mid range boost - modified with a bypass switch
    DOD Deep Freeze Chorus
    Planet waves tuner

These are all controlled by by a true bypass foot switch box I designed. This gives me two independent loops plus a tuner/mute. Power comes from a switch mode supply from, IIRC, Planet Waves.

Edit: Never use 3/4" ply to make your pedal board even if it is a perfect size. It's way too heavy. :rollno: I'm going to re-do it using 1/4" ply.