rig for metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TooFunkToDrunk, May 22, 2002.

1. I currently have a Gk 400RBIII ala 210 and a Randall RB100 ala 115. I believe both pump out an average of 150 watts. Now, I just recently joined a metal band that will be playing some good sized venues. I'm currently thinking of holding onto the Randal and selling the GK and upgrading to a more powerful Randal setup. does this sound like the way to go, or is there some hidden "metal tone" I can dial out of the GK and just run that thru a PA?
    Any help appreciated.
  2. I know they used to make a 200 watts Randall, but not anymore. At the moment Randall does not make any bassamps. And if you ever might need any service, forget about Randall. You can write them, call them, they just don´t give a Shhhhh. I´d prefer to buy some 15¨, and stay with the GK.
  3. will33

May 22, 2006
    You can keep the GK and add a 15 cab but you're going to need more amp to compete with metal stacks and drums. Might trade all that gear for a highpower head and a 15 + 410 or something.
  4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You could get and A/BY switch ($20-30) and run into both of them at once. However, even then you might not get enough volume. What is the rest of your band using?
  5. from what I have played with in two seperate metal bands was a peavey Mark III, with 1 15. It was put up againt 2 5150's and I was told to turn down. my other setup was a peavey TVX 412 wieghed like 150 lbs but could cut through anything had good low end, nothing like my old 1810 but it is a 412. big headroom is a must especially with metal bands, cause IMHO most guitarist that play only metal/hardcore always crank it to 11.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Ampeg SVT is very Metal.
  7. tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    The rig I use in my metal band is an Ampeg SVT4PRO head into an Ampeg SVT810E cab with a DBX 160A compressor on it. And it gets the job done for me.
  8. Personally I would keep the GK, I prefer them over Randalls. Also quite a few metal bassists play them.
  9. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    It would really help if ya told us what you are up against AND what your budget is. I know you said metal band, but how many guitarists are in the group? What kind of rigs are they using? Is the drummer ridiculously loud? Will you have PA support at a lot of your gigs?

If you are going up against two 100 watt Marshall 1/2 stacks and a heavy hitting drummer, then I would definitely upgrade or you will be barried in the mix.
    If you like the GK tone then why not sell your 400RBII and get a 1001RBII or 2001RBII? That would give you lots more headroom and I think it would work well for metal music. I would also recommend a 4x10 + 1x15 to go with it.