1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rig for mostly reggae playing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ricoj175, Apr 17, 2017.

1. ricoj175

ricoj175

Apr 12, 2017
    I've been playing the Bass off and on for many years, but have never really had to purchase my own rig, so there are a few things Im not entirely clear on and I have some questions.

My local music shop (I'd like to support them) is a vendor for Peavey, Ampeg and Fender. For practicality and affordability sake I would like to stick with a 4x10 cab. But I would also like the option to maybe add another cab in the future. I tried two amps, the Peavey MiniMax (500 watts RMS) and an ampeg SVT pro 7 (1000 watts). Both through two different 4x10 cabs, a peavey headliner and the other through an ampeg classic. I really liked the Peavey one, but would I be able to add another cab to it? The guy at the store said that wouldnt necisarily make it louder, because of the wattage. Would the ampeg be more flexible, in that regard? Can someone explain the how wattage works when matching cabinets and amps? I've figured out, mostly, impedence and ohms. But am still confused on what to look for wattage wise.

Thanks in advance.

2. If your amp will handle the Impedance load, aka total speaker ohms, then adding a second cab is the best way to get noticeably louder.

Most amps will work into a minimum of 4 Ohms (some will go as low as 2 Ohms). That means the total combination of all connected cabs should not be lower than 4 Ohms (or whatever the rating is).

Let's say you have an amp that is rated for 350 Watts at 8 Ohms, and 500 Watts at 4 Ohms. If you connect one 8 Ohm cab you have most of the amp's power avalaible for your use. If you add the second cab, you are now running the amp at 4 Ohms and getting all of the amp's available power. The increase from 350w to 500w is negligible. Having doubled the speakers is huge.

The way our ears work, for an amp to sound approximately twice as loud, requires 10 times the power.
    But if you double the speaker surface area, doubling the amount of air being pushed, that extra cab will get you close to sounding twice as loud with the power you have available in your amp. There are other advantages as well.
    But hopefully this answered your question.

lowplaces likes this.
  3. ricoj175

ricoj175

Apr 12, 2017
    I've been playing the bass for a long time, but am a newbie when it comes to equipment. I've been using the same Combo Amp for a long time, and it is now time to get something louder/better, since I am gonna start jamming/performing soon.

Ideally, I would like to get an Amp with a 4x10 cabinet for portability, with the flexibility to add another cabinet (another 4x10, or a 2x10 or 1x18) for bigger gigs. Can someone explain to me what I should look for in both the amp and cabs, wattage wise? I think I have it figured out impedence wise, but still not how to match em up, wattage wise.

Thank you.

4. Match the second cab to the first.
    Mixing a 4x10 with a 15 or 18 might work, but it's usually a crap shoot.
    These days a 4x10 can sound better than a 15 or 18 for bass.
    The one cab may be all you ever need.
    But if you add a second one add one like the first.

5. ricoj175

ricoj175

Apr 12, 2017
    Thanks for the quick reply and that makes a ton of sense. What about, the wattage of the cabinet? Does that matter? For example, I was at the music store today with a Peavey 500 watt (RMS) amp, and noticed the cabinet at 8 ohms had 800 watts. I also played through a 1000 amp (didnt catch the wattage of that cabinet).