1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig for son

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ash Jazz, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Hello all,

I have a nice setup for myself, all Markbass rig thats great. My son is in college and out of nowhere he's suddenly a pretty decent bassist. Problem is He's pretty much outgrown the Squier bass and 100 watt Fender combo I bought him years ago. Being a full time student with a part time job he doesnt have any money. I would like to help him out. I would like to get him something that will be decent for gigging without spending any more than absolutely necessary.

He wants a 5 string bass and I was looking at the Ibanez sr400 which looks pretty decent for the money but Im not sure about the amp and cab or combo. I kind of like the idea of seperates because it will give him more options when he's ready to upgrade. I saw a Peavey Tourmaster 450 and a Fender Pro 1x15 with a horn on the bay but Im not really certain that rig would stand up. The head and cab would cost about $500.

There was also a Hartke HA2500 and 210xl cab for $350. That might do it, Im not sure.

What do you think? Would either be adequate to gig with? Which would be better, 1x15 or 2x10? Are those amps any good? What in that price range would be better?

Of course ultimately he'll make the final selections but I want to make sure we are looking at the right gear and understand the expense.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts and advice!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. You could give him your rig & then you get to upgrade yourself. :)

I'm not familiar with that exact head & cab but should be enough power for most gigs and lots of people using 1x15 cabs.
    The Fender Rumble gear gets a lot of love here and it's reliable & lower priced gear.
    I use Aguilar gear but that's out of your budget range your currently looking at.

3. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Nothing wrong with Hartke gear, though I’d go with at least a HA3500 and a VX410 or 410XL cab.

Al Kraft and Ash Jazz like this.
  4. Trust me, I thought of that!!!

I figured the 450 watts was plenty of power and it has an eq and some other tone shaping features. I wasn't sure the 1x15 Fender Pro cab would put out enough. The Hartke rig looks pretty cool and the speaker cab was rated for 200 watts and the head rated at 250. Once upon a time, many moons ago I had a Fender combo. It may have been a BXR. I don't recall for certain. It would get loud enough however as the volume increased the note definition decreased until you basically became a kick drum. I just want to buy right the first time rather than buying something only to find out it chokes under live fire.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    staurosjohn likes this.
  5. I had the HA5500 and the 4x10 cab at one time. It was a great rig but the cab was terrible to move. I forget the model but it had the speakers with the 22oz magnets. I kept ripping the corner protectors off trying to get it through doorways! I still have spares that I bought for replacements. Sounded killer though and looked pretty impressive too!

6. 450 watts should be plenty but I don't know about 250.

One 1x15 cab may or may not be enough depending on the situation/volume level of the band. I've never felt that one single speaker cab (of any size) would be sufficient but we play fairly loud.

I went to 1x12 cabs to get away from hauling big heavy cabs.
    I use at least 2 at shows and up to 4 for outdoors/big venues.

Ash Jazz likes this.
  7. Young'n with 450w to poke at a single 15 is an accident waiting to happen if he gets in with Loudy McGeetard and Hefty McBasher.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Don't laugh. But this rig will get it done. The cab is the most underrated piece of bass gear on the planet. Best sound per dollar there is. It's heavy, but it's loud and sounds great. The head is plenty loud for gigs and will do until he can trade up. Lots of EQ options in it as well.

MADE IN USA ..Peavey Mark VI, amplifier. Peavey TVX 410 Cab. VGC

ZonieBass and Ash Jazz like this.
  9. I have the 410TXF (fur covered version) and it is a nice, loud cab.

Ash Jazz likes this.
  10. No laughing! That looks awesome. Ill show him tonight when I see him. Thank you!

11. Das Jugghead

Das Jugghead

Oct 28, 2015
    Indiana
    I am a huge fan of Sweetwater Sound for several reasons; free shipping, free two year warranty, no hassle return policy, knowledgeable sales staff, etc . . .

Bass amp heads:

Bass Guitar Amp Heads | Sweetwater

Two by cabinets:

Bass Guitar Amp Cabinets | Sweetwater

I know a fair number of people do not like Behringer at all but their bass heads get rave reviews.

Ash Jazz and EatS1stBassist like this.
  12. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    Get him some earplugs to save him tinnitus at your age.

Also, are you looking to fill a room or just a stage monitor?

Ash Jazz likes this.
  13. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Don't forget the lack of storage space inherent in a college student's living space. My amp recommendation is a Phil Jones Briefcase. Good for silent practice with headphone out, can gig small venues and has DI for gigging bigger venues.

Needless to say, to fit your budget this would be a used amp (available under $400).

Ash Jazz likes this.
  14. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    He's in college. Does he travel with his bass gear? Does he have a vehicle? with room? If not, you might consider getting something small/light if possible (not too small). They make some nice lightweight gear these days. If he travels with the gear it might be handy. We'd need to know more about that part of the situation ...

Ash Jazz and Gearhead17 like this.
  15. tedsalt

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Also, if you buy from GC Used, they have a 45 day return policy if there's a problem with the gear. I'd be looking there at their used gear. They can ship ...

Ash Jazz and Gearhead17 like this.
  16. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    For bass lol at Yamaha bb 425 too or maybe 415 .
    They sound better than Ibanez sr 400 .(qt least toy eae , although the Ibanez is active but Yamaha is passive pj)

Ash Jazz and Member8675309 like this.
  17. AdamK

AdamK

Jan 24, 2015
    Virginia
    College student here. I just replaced my Squier P bass (which actually had upgraded pickups) to a 5 string. I am a huge fan of the Lakland 55-01. I got mine used for just $550! I gig with a 1x15 by the way.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Ash Jazz and interp like this.
  18. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Nose around this forum and you'll find several stories about the reliability of Hartke heads. Jussayin'... jussayin'...

Lots of other great options out there.

Ash Jazz likes this.
  19. tedsalt

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    I never had any issues with my LH1000. Did you have trouble with yours? We don't see the posts of the people whose equipment works perfectly fine. Jussayin' ...

In any case, I'd look for something in a smaller/lighter form factor ...

Ash Jazz likes this.
  20. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Basses are a personal thing, especially 5 strings but I find that some of the best 5s out there for the money are the Fender MIM V and DLX V.

As for amps I would say go GK MB series all the way. The 210 combo gives you 350 watts as is or 500 if you plug it into an 8 ohm extension cab of your choice.

If you go with the MB212 it’s 500 watts as is and can be increased by buying GK MB powered extension cabs.

Both are light weight and sound great. I own both and swear by them.

Ash Jazz likes this.