Rig got quiet all of a sudden !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I own a Bag End 4x10 8ohm cab that can handle 400 watts.

I also own a BP200 bass pedal and a carvin 2000 watt 2 channel power amp.

As of this morning, my rig is very quiet. There are no other signs of damage.

I used to not be able to crank up the volume on my pedal all the way up and the volume of the power amp past 2/3s of the way before it got so loud the "clip" light came on. It was very loud at this level. Now I can turn all knobs up full bast and the volume only seems half of what it used to be.

The sound itself other than being quiet is fine. What the heck is going on here?
  2. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    At first I thought it could be a speaker problem but I took the grate off my cab and felt each speaker and all four of them are vibrating and sound as though they are working just fine.
  3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Could the preamp battery on your bass be going dead?

4. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Put in new battery, no luck.
  5. I had a similar occurance once. But it was with home audio equipment. My speakers still worked. And I set use the same sets everday. But what happened was the cooling capabilities of the sinks. On the MOSFETS and the lack of a fan. Weren't up to the needs of the amp. And I fried the internals of it. Causing it to have a weak output signal. I'm not diagnosing your situation as that. But you and / or a tech may want to have a looking side.