Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rig has a hiss from the high end speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GraffixNyc, May 7, 2004.

1. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Hi I just got a used GK 800RM amp with a hartke 4x10 XL cabinet and a hartke 1x15 cabinet. I have notcied from the 4 10's that there is a lot more noise coming from them. is this normal? I'm trying to figure out if there might be a problem with the amp or the cabinet itself. I've tried different cables same thing. I also tried plugging the 1x15 into the high jack on my amp and the hiss was not as bad when I plugged the 4x10 cabinet into the low jack the same amount of hiss came from the 4x10's So I'm not sure if this kind of hiss is normal or something is wrong with the cabinet.

2. Does it have a tweeter, those things like to hiss (it should have some kind of adjustment on the cab to turn it down or off).

3. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    No it doesn't have a tweeter

4. What's your EQ looking like? High frequencies will bring about hiss, and the 10's will accentuate it more than the 15. If you're into the 'smile-y face' or 'V' shape eQ with extremely boosted treble, change that right now. Set all your eq flat, including the Graphic EQ sliders, the bass and treble knobs (if you've got them) and any 'Bright', 'Boost', or shelving eq's you might have. Just make the head completely flat. Then flatten out all your eq on your bass. If this reduces the hiss, then you're problem is equalization. Find the frequency (on your Graphic EQ) that really seems to control the hiss and keep that cut, then adjust all your other eq's to taste.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Have you tried isolating the hiss? For example, does it still occur with the master volume on zero? If so, you have a problem in your power amp section. If not, does it still occur with the preamp volume on zero? If so, the hiss is coming from the preamp section. If not, it may be coming from your instrument. That kind of thing. That's the first step I'd take, try to isolate the particular "stage" or "section" of your signal chain that's creating the hiss.

Most of the time, hiss is a symptom of a poorly designed amp, or one with flaky electronic components. If this is the case, there's no way to "fix" it (or at least, it would be much more of a headache that it's worth), and the best solution would be to get another amp. (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's been my experience over the years).

6. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Mo:
    I have my eqs flat, my masters up all the way, my boost level is about half way. When I turn the boost down all the way the hiss is better(less noticable). I think there is a way to turn the boost completly off with a footwtich but I don't have that. my amp also has a biamp button I currently have that set to full and not biamp. When I turn the biamp on it makes the hiss louder as well. my crossover is also about half way between 100hz and 1.0khz

7. Man, I'm not sure what to tell you. nonsqtr has proven himself to be extremely knowledgable in the past with my problems. I guess the only option you have right now is to approach it like a scientist: Trial and Error, eliminating possibilities. Sounds like you're already doing that.

I don't know enough about the GK amp, but from what I do know, they are fairly clean and noise free, normally. If you got yours second-hand, there could be all sorts of crud gumming up the inside. Do your best to solve the problem yourself, but you could always take it to an amp repair place. If nothing else, they could hook the amp up to other cabinets and tell you, for sure, that it's the head and not your speakers...and vice versa.

This just screams "head issues" for me. A wise man once said, "Speakers only put out what you put in, they don't make sound on their own."

It sounds like you need to seek professional help (for your amp). Without being able to play it, I wouldn't know what else to suggest.

8. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    nonsqtr,
    When I turn down the master volume for that cabinet the hiss goes away. there is a hiss in the 15 cabinet as well but not as bad as the hiss in the 4x10s. I'm not really sure about all this stuff lol.
    my amp has a -10db button I leave that off. then 1 volume switch I guess this is the preamp volume?
    then I have voicing filters all are off. my eq is flat my bosst is about half way(hiss gets lower when I turn this down all the way) my crossover fq I have half way as well. then I have a button for biamp which I don't have turned on I have it in "Full" mode and then I have 2 master volumes one for the 4x10 cabinet and 1 for the 1x!5 cabinet. I guess I will bring it to a shop and have them look at it.

9. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
  10. Errrrr..... don't run the master up full. IMHO this almost always will be noisy regardless of whatever amp you're using.

Turn the preamp up to get a good tone, then turn up the master only as loud as you need to go.