Rig ... help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon223, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Hi all. Here's my situation. Im still starting out. I think. Right now I'm playing through a Karaoke Machine, b/c i havent gotten the cash for a microbass or something similar.
    So, once I get the microbass and (maybe) another bass, I'm gonna start saving for a rig. I'll have a job within a month. So, somebody, I know you all have an opinion, somebody help me by just by telling me this.
    Which rig should i get. Cab and Head. Im gonna try and keep it as cheap as possible.
    I want the typical Jazz/ "fusion" tone. Clean but versatile. I will, however, play it in a rock setting alot too. So that means lots of oomph. 300 watts? or maybe more.

So, in short. I just want to be told simply what cab and head will fit me.
    Thanks for reading this long winded post.
  2. hey Jon223,

I'm probably the first to extoll the virtues of AccuGroove, but for a starting bassist, get solid gear. Peavey combos are all but indestructible and the warranty cannot be beat.

if you want something a step up that's really versatile, go with an SWR combo. they're clean, cut through the mix well, are portable, and can be added to easily. you can usually find them reasonably priced on eBay.

just my 2 cents,

from the low end,

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Then you will find that you need to give us some more info. Like, whats your budget/willing to spend? That will help!
  4. :D (poop eatin grin)
    Ok, i forgot i would be asked that.
    Heres more info
    Gonna have a pretty noisy drummer,sometimes, but got lotsa Djembe playing friends and theyre good for percussion.
    50-100 watts guitar. maybe 2 of them.
    I think im willing to spend about 300(?) on the head and i dont really know what a good price for cabs is. Sorry, im a total rig noob.
    So, i hope that helps a bit.
    (PS... Peavey combos arent really what im thinkin here... theyre not really loud are they?)
  5. I mean, as loud as a good Head/Cab setup.
  6. Peavey's don't have the snob appeal as a lot of other brands but they're dependable and they're loud.

if you're looking at a lot of rock stuff, you may want to check into Ampeg stuff, too.

from the low end,