Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    Ok, here's my problem:

I have been looking at buying a new rig, Only thing is, im torn between the 'Ampeg SVT-450h and the 'Trace Elliott AH500-7' heads.
    I honestly have no idea which one to go for as i had my heart set on a full ampeg rig, but after reading comments and views on the SVT-450, im unsure.
    If I was to buy the Trace Elliott then i would also buy a Trace Elliot 4x10 and 1x15.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search but i couldnt find enough info.

thanks
    Dan

2. your amp doesnt always have to match your cab. I know alot of people complain about the muddyness of ampeg cabs, plus their price tag. I think you could find better cab wise, but amps, Im not going to make an ass of myself on things I have never tried. But good luck on the rig

3. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    USE YOUR EARS

4. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    I wish i could.

No where round here stocks the Trace stuff and the only shop that stocks the ampeg stuff wont let me play through it until i agree to buy it. Which sucks!!!

I have played similar models of each and i was very impressed with the Trace but sound can differ from model to model so that is where im having problems.

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Personally, I'd be leery of a shop that didn't allow me to play thru the gear pre-purchase....I'd just a soon take my credit card down the street to the nearest competitor...that's just me, though

6. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    That is pretty much what i said.

I went back today and a different sales guy was in, he let me play through it no problem. It sounded nice but it wasnt as good as i'd expected.

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...at least now you know. I've never been a huge fan of Ampeg...others swear by 'em. It's all a matter of personal taste, and different rigs seem to lean towards a particular sound. Find out what some of your favorite bassists use. Keep A/B'ing and you'll find the one that fits.

BTW, Basstasters and Harmony Central are very good sites for research. here's a couple links:

http://basstasters.com/
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/

8. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    My money is on the trace stuff. I've had both as rentals, and came across a number of bad ampegs, never a bad trace...

9. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    cheers dude, i'll check them out.