1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rig help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Krinkle, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle

Aug 3, 2004
    I'm getting ready to finally buy a "pro rig" after years of combo'in it. But I'm confused as hell as to what exactly will work best. I've pretty much decided on generally what I want. I want to get an SWR Goliath III 4x10 and a son of bertha 1x15. I'm planning on getting the 8 ohm version of both because, to clarify, if I run them both through the same amp they will be running at 4 ohms, correct?? But now I'm not too sure what amp to get, I want either a GK 700rb II or 1001rb II, I know the 1001rb puts out 700 watts at 4 ohms, which as far as I understand might not be ideal because it will push the crap out of my cabs and give me 0 headroom, and basically torture the 115. But I don't know if the 700rb is going to be quite enough for what I'm wanting. Also, does anyone know if there's a way to set the amp to run at 4 or 8 ohms, and if so, how? Any input of any kind, even just your reviews of such a rig, is very welcome. Thanks!

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Mr. Krinkle.

Though many bass players do so, mixing different cabs/speaker sizes in a full range bass amp often leads to some degree of phasing problems caused by the fact that larger speakers react more slowly (due to their heavier cones) than smaller ones (which have lighter cones). As well, differences in cab tuning and porting come into play.

The most 'focused'-sounding full-range, multi-cab bass amp sound is generally achieved by using matching cabs/speakers--preferably stacked in a line array (a single column of vertically arranged speakers) to obtain the best horizontal dispersion of mids & highs.

As for bass amp wattage? 'Tis better to have more than one needs, than to need more than one has (if one wishes to avoid power amp clipping, which, depending on the power handling capabilities of a rig's speakers vs its amp's power output, is a leading cause of fried speaker voice coils).