Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig hook up Q? pros please help!!:)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saetia, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Alright I need some help with desiding on the rig I'm planning on getting.
    Here is the specs:
    Avatar B410 DELTA 03 1400 watts rms 4 or 8 ohm

Avatar B212 DELTA LF 03 1000 watts 4 or 8 ohm

Ernie Ball Music Man 2x12 600 watts rms 8 ohm

Peavey PV2600 power amp Stereo Mode: 4 Ohms: 900 Watts RMS x 2, Stereo Mode: 8 Ohms: 540 Watts rms x 2, Bridge Mode-Mono: 8 Ohms: 1800 Watts rms, *Not recommended for continuous 2 ohm stereo/4 ohm bridge duty.*(copied from peavey site)

What I want to know is how would you go about hooking the 3 cabs up, the Avatars can come in either 4 or 8 ohm and the MM is 8 ohm. So which way should I go about hooking it up(and which ohmage would you go with the two avatars) to get the most efficient use of my power. Also could if you don't think that amp can do the trick could you please offer your opinion on an amp that will power that stack. Thanks a bunch
    peace
    -Ben

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Unless if i did something wrong your load would be 2.6 ohms if you got all 8 ohm cabs. In that the first 2 8 ohm cabs together = a 4 ohm load plus an additional 8 to bring your impendence down to 2.6.
    I'd look for a head that can power bridged into 2 ohms or look into a stereo/split head so that you could run 2 sides and not be putting out a 2.6 impedence e.g. get a 4 ohm 4X10 & the rest 8 then run the 2 2X12s on one side @ 4 ohms and on the other side the the 4X10 @ 4 ohms and then you would be running 4ohm/4ohm. That might be a bit easier way. I'm sure one of the amp tech guru type people will come in and correct me or offer more info. I hope that helped.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    GEEZ man....that's 4 12's and 4 10's...........

But....If you must have three different cabs, you really need to be able to control the volume of each one so you can blend them as you please. Getting a single amp that bridges to 2 ohms isn't really an option anyway; I don't know of any amp that will do that. Plenty of amps that can run 2 ohms per side, but bridging to 2 ohms means you neead a stereo amp that is stable at 1 ohm per channel. And the capacity you have there for wattage is pretty high.

SO.......here's what I'd do. Get both Avatars at 4 ohms. Get two power amps. One that bridges to 1000-1400 watts @ 4 ohms for the 4x10, and one that is around 1000 watts per channel at 4 ohms for the other two. It'll be around 600-700 at 8 ohms. That way you'll be able to control the volume of each cab, and you'll still have WAY more wattage than any sane person should need.

I dunno about that Peavey.......I'd be a bit hesitant at buying a power amp that isn't really intended to run a very typical load........

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You could get a QSC PLX3402 to power the two 2x12's and a PLX1202 for the 4x10.

Or, for that matter, get three PLX1202's, an amp for each cab.

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I had the understanding that since the amp is stereo at least what stubi19 on here said that each side can be broken down, so one cab say a 4 ohm could get the 900 watts on one side then daisy chain the other side, with say 2 8ohm cabs. each sides impedence is independant, so i could run an 8 ohm load on one side and a 4 or what ever 2 daisy chained comes out too. I was thinking from one side put the 4 ohm 4x10 and it would get 900 watts, and the other side would have the two 2x12's and get like 900 watts as well? Correct me if im wrong or mistaken, but he said that both sides are independant on that power amp.
    thanks
    peace
    -Ben

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You're right. BruceWane was just saying that you'd want a seperate volume control for each cabinet, so you could blend them to your liking.

Honestly, I could see two 2x12s, or a 4x10 and a 2x12, but 4x12 and 4x10? Madison Square garden, look out :D

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Sure, you could do it that way. You just won't have control of the volume of each cab - you'll have a volume control for the 4x10, and a volume control for the 2x12's.

To do that, you'll want the Avatar 4x10 to be a 4 ohm version, and the Avatar 2x12 to be an 8 ohm version. 8 ohms + 8 ohms (in parallel) = 4 ohms total load.

I really think I'd go for a different amp than that Peavey, though......not having the ability to bridge to 4 ohms really limits the flexibility of the amp if you decide to use it in a different manner in the future, and it kinda indicates to me that they may have skimped a bit on its power supply and other components......

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hi. What you described in that post is exactly what I would suggest. A 4ohm 4x10 on one side of the amp, and get the other 2 cabs as 8ohms, put them on the other side, voila 4 ohms and another 900w. Like Bruce suggested, you ALMOST have controll over each cab, as each channel has an input gain controll.

Why not get matching 2x12's? Why the Avater and the MM?

9. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Thanks a bunch for the info, as I said before its what I was planning on getting, I have the Music Man coming any day now, and I haven't bought the other stuff yet, I'm Looking into a SVP-BSP Billy Sheehan Preamp from a member of this site. I really don't have the money for 3 power amps. And I don't have the slightest idea on hooking 3 power amps up into a pre amp. Maybe I will just go with the music man and an avitar 2x12 or another music man 2x12 if i can find one that is.
    well your info is much appreciated. so Either way 2 mm or mm and an avatar, I need a power amp that will either put out 1200 watts 4 ohms or 1600 watts 4 ohms. I take it that QSC is the way to go with power amps, seem that way at least from what I've read, I'm new to the power amp/pre amp work always had heads befor. well thanks and keep the info coming
    peace
    -Ben

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Wierd thing is, on the Peavey website it says not to run 2 ohms stereo, but their printed material lists wattage for 2 ohms and only says not to bridge to 4ohms.

11. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    As for going with two of the same 2x12's I'm already obligated to the mm, and it was hard finding that, I mean I can try to find another one(which would be sweet) but I really don't know how to go about it cause it seems they have become scarce in the past few months. Right now, I'm entertaining ideas, as well as trying to learn about this stuff more so because as I said in my last post I'm taking a step into new territory with a power amp and a pre amp.
    thanks for all your help guys
    peace
    -Ben