1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig ID?..John Stirratt/Wilco..Shroeder tube head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hizzoner, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    I wonder if anyone has played through a shroeder bass head?

I see John Stirratt using one on top of two ampeg cabs(410"s?) and what looks like an avalon DI.

I also found shroeder here in Chicago but see no bass heads on their website:

Schroeder DB7

Here is Wilco live and you can see the rig there:
    Wilco I Might - Live on Letterman - YouTube

Thanks..he gets awesome tone through that lakland with darkstars..wow...

Attached Files:

2. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    I can't speak on John's gear, but I'd like to chime in on his character. Got a chance to talk with him in 2006 when he was doing gigs with his sister Laurie as "John & Laurie Stirrat." My band opened for them and John was super cool. Very supportive of the whole "struggling americana band" thing and just a genuinely nice guy.

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Nice! I met Stirratt about a year ago (super-nice guy, he signed the back of the headstock on my DS'd Lakland) and he said he was going back to his DS'd bass from vintage Fenders to get more underneath the band because the ensemble's become so large (I'm paraphrasing).

Based on the link, I assume Nels turned him onto the company and they built him a custom. Never been inside, but they're right next to where Bass Club Chicago was located until recently.

4. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    I remember seeing that repair shop when visiting Bass Club.hmm...his amp looks bigger than the guitar amp they have on their website. Cool stuff..

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    That's the rig he played at the Metropole in Montreal when I saw them last August.

Might as well have played anything, the FOH sound was so piss poor. Line array system, but set up so it was blindingly loud up front, muddy everywhere, and the only decent sound was at the back of the room on the second floor balcony.

I've seen a few gigs there with lousy sound, maybe there is a problem with the room, but it's an ordinary old theater-come-concert hall, should be able to get some decent consistent levels instead of a muddy, blurry, mess.

6. Does anyone know what's making the fuzz on the fuzzy bass parts in "I Might?" I haven't gotten to watch the Letterman version yet, but on the studio track I'm in love with how deep it is, with just the right amount of zing when he goes up the neck

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Was the soundman up on the balcony?

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    That would at least have explained something, but, alas, no, his booth is halfway back on the main floor.

The line array speakers are hung very low there when used, I've wondered if that has something to do with it.

9. Bass Club Mark

Bass Club Mark

Dec 21, 2005
    Bass Club Chicago
    We have that amp in stock now. Thanks!

10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    He always sounds great- one of the reasons I first experimented with Darkstars!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    $4000, eh? Too rich for my blood but I'll bet the guy sells what he makes.