Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig Idea! I smell awesomeness...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Okay boys and girls, I got a rig idea. Now I'll admit, I just got a Peavey 410TVX and Max 700, but I'm longing for that Ampeg sound. I'm justifying thinking about this with the argument that I'm going to college next year, and my huge, awkward 97 pound 410TVX is probably going to be staying at home as a backup. Here's my idea:

Ampeg B-2R (I actually prefer the SS sound)
    Carvin DCM-1500

I'm thinking... I can run that Carvin bridged at 8 ohms into the B212 most of the time, that's 1000 watts and should be plenty, and for bigger shows I can pull out the B210 and then run 4 ohms bridged for 1500 watts. I play with a pick, most of the time punk and ska, and I love the B-2R's sound for it.

Your thoughts? My only complaint about the plan so far is that the rack will weigh around 65 pounds, and I dont like that. Maybe the DCM-1500 is overkill? Maybe DCM-1000 would be fine? That would take 10 pounds off i think. I don't know.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Are you getting an amp and you are going to play that through a power amp? Why not get a preamp, rather? Like the SVP-Pro or the SVP-BSP? Or the other SS types that imitate that Ampeg tone, like SansAmp RBI?

I think you'll be good with a 210 and a 112, and the DCM1000...
    Two weeks ago I saw a band thats among the bigger ones here, and the bassist was playing and old Streamer (the pre-Stage I & II type NT) going through a GK Backline 350 - and thats just 175Ws!!!
    At most mid-to-bigger shows, there will be PA support, you'll have the PA for the audience, on-stage monitors, etc, so you dont need all that much power

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Although lots of people get PA support, it varies from area to area. If I got back into a band, Id need a big rig again.

Although thats not my prefered sound, Yossarians rig will do just fine. :)

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Except for weight...

5. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I would get a preamp, but Ampeg doesn't make any SS preamps *shakes fist* and I really didn't like the SVP-PRO, but I did like the B-2R.

Oh yeah, and where I come from, no venues have PA support. And by none, I mean none, not even one. None of the places around here are really venues, they're all like... bars that happen to have shows now and then, or places that bands rent to have a show in.

What does anyone else think? DCM-1000 enough for shows with no PA support?

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yeah its enough power, hopefully more than enough depending on how loud you play and style of music.

mutantbassist made a good point about the weight and the preamp. Do a preamp, lighter and cheaper.

Jack.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Tech 21 RBI

8. DITTO :D

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I agree on the RBI. I currently have a B2R as a preamp... and it isnt all that bad, but it really just seems like an extra rack space when I could get the same SS sound and more diversity from an RBI.

Also... if you had the money you could land a B4R. 1000W straight up. New, you'd be in about $950. Used... $400-$600.

I think Avatars would suit you well. It's gotta suck having to be couped up in a dorm and such... but you could fit a small 210 rig in there probably.

And not to once-again badmouth Carvin's products... but I'd really think you could get more for your money elsewhere.

10. You should think about 2 B212's instead of a B212 and a B210.

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Any particular reason?

12. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Can i get the Sansamp RBI to sound like the B-2R though? I don't mean I just prefer SS sound in general, I mean I prefer SS Ampeg sound to the tube Ampeg sound. Because I'm crazy.

And by the way, I think it's 19 pounds B-2R, 24 pounds DCM1000, and 9 pounds for an SKB rack case, 52 pounds. That's 2 pounds less than my current head, Peavey Max 700. So I can definitely deal with that.

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I would assume that you could. I like Ampeg's SS sound as well... but from pretty much everything I've heard, I could get a sound that I would probably like better out of an RBI.

eh.... I dont know about that. I guess it depends on your spacing and setup. If you could possibly "store" the B212 somewhere besides your dorm... then maybe you could just have the 210 in your dorm room. I would highy recommend that.

In fact... I'm a Senior in HS this year. I'm JUST getting a band put together right now... and I know I'm gonna be living in a dorm or at least an appartment within a year. My cabs are utterly monstrous (Ampeg BXTs)... and I plan on converting to Avatars when money rolls my way. I want a b212/b115h stack, and probably a b112 for the dorm room (with my B2R).

Again, though.... a lot depends on your portability needs and ability to store things.

14. At one time I was running a very similar rig.

Ampeg B2r
    QSC USA 900

I liked how it sounded but the B2r wasn't able to fully drive my power amp. You could overcome that by adding a rack mount EQ. That's what I do now with my Sansamp ADI. I can use the output level on the EQ to boost the signal to the power amp.

I wouldn't say the ADI sounds like the B2r but I haven't tried to do that.

If you definately want the B2r sound then go for it. I would suggest giving the RBI a shot, it's more flexible and a lot lighter.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Using a B2R as a pre, isn't much different that me using my BA115SP as a pre... Yea,, you CAN do it... But, why? I'd jump all over an RBI, or SVP-Pro or BSP.

16. I've heard really great things about B212's and that the B210 doesnt go really low. Like B string low. If you dont play 5's then it wouldn't be a problem. If you used a B210 and B212 together then it probably then wouldn't be a problem. DO the B212's handle the Low B?

17. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    TheChariot: I'm in the exact same situation, senior in HS. I just like to think ahead. Or make up excuses to buy amps.

MuzikMan: What do you mean the B-2R couldn't fully drive your power amp? I'm new to the whole pre/power situation... I'm not sure what that means.

freshmeat: I plan to use either the B212 alone, or both together. I don't intend to be using the b210 alone really ever. However, depending on how it sounds, I might. I play 4 string, and I'm not really that into LOW lows. I like it bassy, but I'm more about punch than rumble.

McHack: I just don't like the sound of any of the Ampeg preamps. I was whining a while ago about how Ampeg doesn't make a SS preamp. If they did, I'd buy that. The RBI I'm considering though. Again, anyone, can I get it to sound like the B-2R? I have a thing for graphic EQ.... *is neurotic*

My brother is in college so I've been in his dorm room, I know what it's like. I feel like I'd probably be able to leave the rack and 210 out, and then just stash the b212 away somewhere. like in the closet or under the bed. Would it fit under a bed? If you sat it on its back? I'm sure I'd find a way.

18. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Again... I'm on the same boat as you.

Since I've gotten my RMX1450, I've used both my cabs to try and get a better sound. To do that, I mostly tinkered with the 9-band EQ on my B2R. I am quite happy with the ability to alter my sound with it. With that in mind.... I'm scared to let it go in favor of the RBI. But... after mingling with some great bass players on this site, I decided to flip the EQ off and see if I could get a similar sound to the one that pleased me through the graphic EQ. And whaddayaknow??..... I got something really really close to it. And that's with the B2R.

I wouldnt be scared to step away from it. Yeah... I guess its cool... but.... ya know.... screw it. :D

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    An hour and 11 minutes late... :p please read previous posts

20. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The SVP-BSP I'm using right now has only one tube at the input, to add just a bit of tube flavour nad warmth and harmonics, but is SS for the rest. Thats the closest Ampeg ever got to SS preamps