Rig Idea, opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, May 25, 2005.

1. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I'm sure how soon I will be purchasing a new rig as I leave for a 6 month tour in a few weeks so all my money will be saved to support myself on the road. But if you TBers could give me some opinions on this I'd appreciate it.

I've come to the conclusion that a cabinet with just 10's will not do it for me. I can't get the low end I need.

I do like the sound of 15's quite a bit, but clarity is something I'd worry about. So adding a 2x10 on top of a 2x15 for clarity sounds like a good idea to me.

Now back to the issues of 10s: My band plays in Drop-C and if I have issues with my 8x10, I know a 2x10 will have major issues. So bi-amping was my next solution.

Now here's the gear I've been thinking about:

Gallien Krueger 800RB (100w @ 8 ohms and 300 @ 4 ohms)
    Eden 210XLT (8 ohms version, using the 100w output)
    Eden 215XLT (4 ohms version, using the 300w output)

My band will be using full stacks soon here, so if this rig doesnt cut through I'm sure I'll have to figure out some kind of rig with a crossover. But yes, those are my thoughts. I'd really like to hear what everyone thinks.
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If you're bothering to cart all those cabs, I don't see much reason to get a lightweight (and relatively low power) amp like an 800RB. Get a preamp like a BBE B-Max or Sansamp RBI, and a hefty (but cheap) power amp like a QSC RMX 2450, which will push 750W into the 2x15" and 500W into the 2x10".

Going low requires lots of power and if you're willing to cart some extra weight, a rack rig is the cheapest way of getting big power. A smaller power amp bridged into a 215XLT for 1500W or so may prove sufficiently loud and clear without bothering with the 210XLT.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I agree about the amp. If you power up those cabs well you will be LOUD and sound great. I used to use a 115XLT with a 210XLT and even that rig had tons of bottom end and a very balanced and clear sound. Why not stick with Eden and get a WT-800 and get both cabs as 4ohm.