Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rig idea...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i was lookin through the new BP 1x12 shootout, and found that the 1x12 Aguilar would really be good for me, but id probably need 2. so lets say i have two of those.

then id get a power amp, maybe a carvin.

id run my GK 400RB into the carvin into the Agie's

later, id get a Aguilar DB680 or DB659 pre. my question is....

is there that much of a difference in the two pre's?

2. There are some real nice differences but they running the 659 would still give you killer sound. Basically, the extras you get from the 680 that are nice are the ++ on the deep switch, and the parametric EQ, and the built in crossover. But considering price, you really can't go wrong with the 659.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There is a big difference between the 2 Aguilar pre-amps...especially in price! The DB680 is the epitome of bass pre-amp designs(IMHO). It features dual parametric EQ's with standard bass and treble. It also features a Jensen transformer balanced out, and and FX loop. It is incredibly warm and incredibly versatile. The DB659 is like my DB359 head. It is very simple to use with Bass, Mid, Treble. It does not have the versatility of Parametrics, but you still get the warm pure Aguilar tone out of it. Both also feature Deep and Bright switches which add just the right amount of boost. Both are great units.:)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, eric, get the db680! that's a no-brainer :D

5. LOL :D I actually might get one myself John.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Two thumbs up on the DB680. Mine's got a purple crytal. Anyone else have the purple? The newer one's I see now are all green like my DB728.

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i would get the DB680 if i could, but the big issue is cost.

the 1x12s and the power amp costs about $1200 all together. Would it really be wise to spend $1500 on a pre amp? i DO have other things to buy (electric upright 4 or 5, Conklin Custom or New Century 7 fretless)

I guess what i am saying is- does the DB680 sound $800 better than the DB659?

i guess when the time comes for a new pre, cost will determine it (sadly)

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I think if you hunt around a little, you might find a new DB680 for something in the $1300 range. Of course, that's still expensive.

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    They're starting to pop up on ebay for about a grand.