Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig ideas... do they end?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    im a prog rock bassist on a mission- tone, portability, and price

Gallien Krueger 400RB (got it)
    Carvin DCM600 power amp

Hartke TP 2x10 cabinet, driven by GK (150 watts at 8 ohms)
    Bag End 1x15, driven by Carvin (450 watts at 8 ohms mono)

weighing in at around 130 pounds, with all the tone i need, 600 watts (now would those watts combined be 600, or is there some equation there...)

so only spending 1000$, plus whatever i get from my SWR WM 15 cab, that will be nice

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    1) Forget about the Hartke 210TP. Transporter cabs IMHO Suck totally.
    (Edit: I forgot to add the reasons why it sucks: Mediocre speakers, bad efficiency, carton boxed tone, not enough highs, easy to blow, low power handling, etc ,etc ,etc)

2)The Bag end is good choice.

3) Why dont you consider a Carvin RL1015 or RL1018 Rig.
    At about $1300, more power , more versatility. Carvins are lightweight, they yield a good tone (to comfirm that soon,will review a RL1018, so stay in tune) great price, etc etc.

BTW, Im also a prog player, sadly my band is more a thrash-prog kind of music (I want to migrate to ProgMetal, but the rest of my band mates are very into thrash due to heritage [add 10 songs to that heritage and a soon to be recorded CD] ) and I think my decision of the Carvin RL1018 is a good one.

Also, I dont like the GK too much, why dont you consider selling that one?

I had a Harkte 2000 and Ampeg SVT410HE, I sold everything to get the Carvin.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i dig my GK

i dont want to have a 70 pound cab
    thanks anbyways

i need a light, tonefull, cheap 2x10 (none over 50 lbs)

4. What about a GK 210 cab to go with the 400? I might be reading your post wrong but I am not sure what info you are looking for. If your looking at cabs that would be my vote.