1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rig opinions/suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Nov 16, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hello all. Finally after over a year of wishing for something better than my crate combo (which I actually gigged with professionally for about a year, and I was even thankful to have an amp) I have the oppurtunity to start building a rig. I've done a lot of thought and research on the subject. I want a very tight, defined sound. The tone I'm looking for is a very jazzy tone with smooth mids. I want a touch of hi-fi, but not to the point of sickening. Tone similar to Marcus Miller, Jaco, mid-career Flea, the bassist from String Cheese Incident. The cab has to be able to fit in the back of a Chevy Corsica .(though I'll be hopefully getting a truck come spring) I've never had much luck with getting Ampegs to sound how I would like, I like the sound of GK's, but I want more high fi in the tone, same goes with Sunn's, I dig Edens, but not the price tags on them. The rig, I've been thinking of for the past 6 months is:

SWR IOD Pre
    Carvin DCM-1000 Power
    SWR Goliath III (4 ohm version)

Do you think I can achieve what I want with this rig? Do you think there would be a better choice for what I'm looking for? Do you know anyone with a similar setup that I could hear?

I ordered my rack earlier this week, so hopefully I'll be picking it up Monday. :)

Thanks for your help.