Rig opinions/suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Nov 16, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hello all. Finally after over a year of wishing for something better than my crate combo (which I actually gigged with professionally for about a year, and I was even thankful to have an amp) I have the oppurtunity to start building a rig. I've done a lot of thought and research on the subject. I want a very tight, defined sound. The tone I'm looking for is a very jazzy tone with smooth mids. I want a touch of hi-fi, but not to the point of sickening. Tone similar to Marcus Miller, Jaco, mid-career Flea, the bassist from String Cheese Incident. The cab has to be able to fit in the back of a Chevy Corsica .(though I'll be hopefully getting a truck come spring) I've never had much luck with getting Ampegs to sound how I would like, I like the sound of GK's, but I want more high fi in the tone, same goes with Sunn's, I dig Edens, but not the price tags on them. The rig, I've been thinking of for the past 6 months is:

SWR IOD Pre
    Carvin DCM-1000 Power
    SWR Goliath III (4 ohm version)

Do you think I can achieve what I want with this rig? Do you think there would be a better choice for what I'm looking for? Do you know anyone with a similar setup that I could hear?

I ordered my rack earlier this week, so hopefully I'll be picking it up Monday. :)

Thanks for your help.